Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install Windows 7 Beta

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

All right I've tried every trick in the book on installing this thing on both my PC AND my laptop and come to the same dead-end.

I've tried burning it and installing it from scratch on a blank, formatted partition on my hard drives. Each time I get an error code "0x80070015". Sometimes it will make it to 63% of "expanding files", sometimes it won't even make it past 0%.

I also tried just upgrading both computers to Windows 7 from Vista by using a "virtual disk drive". It completes installation, then it boots to a blank screen until I eventually get a bright blue screen with a message in small white letters telling me that the upgrade wasn't successful and the computer was gonna revert back to the previous Windows. Seems that nobody can tell me what's wrong and I've pretty much written this off as yet another useless piece of crap that Microsoft has put out that doesn't work right. XP NEVER used to give me problems when installing from scratch or upgrading to it. :huh:
People do dumb things. And I'm not talking about paying too much for car insurance either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:18 AM

Try checking the setup log files for Windows 7. They're basically in the same place as the Vista setup logfiles. Here's a link to the Vista locations: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927521
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 elmongo2

elmongo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

All right I'm back. I FINALLY cooled down after saying "The hell with it!" and left it alone. This morning I downloaded a new Windows 7 beta file, used IMG Burn and set the burn speed at "1x". That did the trick and my Windows 7 is now installing on my laptop. Appearantly if you set the burn speed on your DVD burner too high it can overlook certain files when burning them onto a disc (?)
People do dumb things. And I'm not talking about paying too much for car insurance either.

#4 Jonmor68

Jonmor68

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

All right I'm back. I FINALLY cooled down after saying "The hell with it!" and left it alone. This morning I downloaded a new Windows 7 beta file, used IMG Burn and set the burn speed at "1x". That did the trick and my Windows 7 is now installing on my laptop. Appearantly if you set the burn speed on your DVD burner too high it can overlook certain files when burning them onto a disc (?)

More likely a dodgy dvd, you can get them occasionally in the best of brands, I used Ritek at 8x without a problem.

#5 dentman

dentman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

Anything important should be burned at 1x.
If you purchased Gold Archive quality DVD's they only burn at 1x which tells you how important it is.
A few pixels missing in your 12mb image don't really matter but it can be catastrophic for an executable.

#6 capoche

capoche

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

I have had the same install problems with Windows 7 from XP Pro 32. Have tried from USB drive, USB Flash, DVD and virtual drives. Still getting the same "missing" files message. Will try to burn new DVD at slow speed to see what happens, then get back to post results. Later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users