Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 txhillbilly77471

txhillbilly77471

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

I have a dell E1505 laptop I am working on and it has me baffled. The laptop had many virus and was unable to connect to the internet. I reformatted and reinstalled Vista Ultimate and everything appear to be better, but I am still not able to connect to the internet via WIFI or LAN. Some people have suggested maybe the WLAN card is corrupted or bad, but that is not even connected to the Ethernet port.

I have tried all the CMD lines tricks like ipconfig, iprelease, and so on. I get media disconnected error on all. I tried to ping and received error 1231.

Please any one that can help me, I would be eternally grateful and in awe of you. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 txhillbilly77471

txhillbilly77471
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

seriously... 23 people have viewed this and nobody has a clue... come on somebody knows how to fix this! Please just point in the right direction....

#3 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

I would look at this as two seperate issues, and focus on the wired connection first. Once that is confirmed working, move on to the often more complex wireless connection. For now, to prevent possible issues, disable the wireless connection, and connect wired to your LAN.

What are you connecting to? Is it a router, or directly into a modem, or a hub?

From the start menu, enter cmd in the search box and hit enter, then type "ipconfig" without the quotes. What is the IPv4 address, and the default gateway listed for the Ethernet connection?

With this information, we should be able to troubleshoot further.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#4 glnbnz

glnbnz

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

Actually I would first make sure that all of the drivers are installed correctly. Seeing that you did a clean install making sure that all of the drivers installed correctly would be my first check. Go to the device manager and make sure that there is no question marks.
Note to self
<Insert something clever here>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users