Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notepad cannot be chosen from list of programs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rutt Roh

Rutt Roh

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

here's something weird for you guys... not sure if it's malware or what (nothing was detected but it could be an "after effect")

my notepad program can't be chosen from a list of programs. when i try opening a .txt document i get the "Open With:" dialog box asking me what program i want to use to open the text document with and Notepad is nowhere to be found. i click on browse and find notepad.exe in C:\windows and select that. but nothing is brought up in the list. the same thing happens when i go into folder options and view file types... when i select notepad.exe as a program to use, nothing happens and it doesn't go on the list. i experiment with some other random .exe and it does show up.

btw, i can run notepad... and can save .txt files but i can't open them with notepad for some reason. i did a search on my computer for notepad.exe and different files were there like from the service pack install and in i386 so i tried using them but none of them worked or were brought up into that "Open With" list.

i'm lost... what gives??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

Type "Winkey + F" to bring up the windows search function.

From here, enable searching of hidden files and system files, and in the entire hard drive
search for notepad

#3 Rutt Roh

Rutt Roh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

From here, enable searching of hidden files and system files, and in the entire hard drive
search for notepad

i searched for the notepad.exe and the "main file" is in C:\windows but even choosing it, it doesn't come up to the list after i click on browse.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

I realize that this is not a fix. But there are freeware alternatives. As well as being free are far superior notepad alternatives available. If you want to go that route. I can offer you two options that I use nearly exclusively. I can't remember the last time I used MS's version of notepad.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

search for notepad

i searched for the notepad.exe and the "main file" is in C:\windows but even choosing it, it doesn't come up to the list after i click on browse.

Does notepad properly open?
Can you open it and use it?

#6 Rutt Roh

Rutt Roh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

yes, i can use notepad fine and i can save txt files but when i try opening them by double clicking on a txt icon, windows doesn't know how to open it.

i know i can use other programs instead of notepad but i'm just wondering why windows can't recognize it by default. the problem i'm running into is when i get that "Open With" prompt when i double click on a txt file, there is no notepad entry in the list. i click on browse and find notepad.exe in C:\windows and select that, but notepad doesn't show up in the list so i can't choose it. but when i click on a different program, windows puts it in the list.

has malware screwed it up? i'm not sure....

#7 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

Try here:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

#8 Rutt Roh

Rutt Roh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:54 AM

Try here:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

thanks, but here's the thing. i'm not sure if my notepad.exe is corrupt. i am able to open it fine and use it.

the issue i'm having is for whateve reason, i can't choose it as a default program to open txt files.

#9 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:17 AM

did you try; open up "my computer" choose "tools" from the top folder menu, choose "folder options" then "file types". scroll down and choose txt" then "change" button then choose notebook or if you have to, choose browse and find it?

#10 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:19 AM

did you try; open up "my computer" choose "tools" from the top folder menu, choose "folder options" then "file types". scroll down and choose txt" then "change" button then choose notebook or if you have to, choose browse and find it?

Yes, he has used the "browse" and after he selects notepad.exe it will not show up in the list even after browsing for it.

I feel he needs to use the file association fix posted above.

#11 Rutt Roh

Rutt Roh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

for whatever reason this worked:

i copied the same notepad.exe from C:\windows to my \system32\ directory and now it works. when i double click on a text file, notepad comes up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users