Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add & Remove program

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:46 PM

I have had the free version of Bearshare for about 2 weeks. Last night I had problems with my computer being really slow and nothing responding. I ran adaware and it found alot. I figure it was all from this Bearshare. In my add/remove program when I try to remove bearshare a box pops with title Wise Uninstal. It says "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file. So I can't remove it. I have zonealarm that asks to allow Bearshare. So if I can't remove the program if I just deny it when ZoneAlarm asks will that work to jsut keep it from being a problem? I also downloaded a movie from Bearshare and I cannot delete it either. It says that another program is using the file and it can't be deleted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:41 PM

P2p strikes again.I have had the problem. Try this:Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders

Checkpoints/workarounds: Test the Delete after each suggestion.

1. Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: RD /S [drive:] path
2. Open Notepad and save the (blank) file with the name of the undeletable file. Under save as, navigate to the file, delete.
3. Move the file into a new directory and then delete the directory.

4. Close all open apps. Open a command prompt (Start/Run/CMD) and navigate to the directory with the offending file(s). Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab, select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".

In the opened Command Prompt, DEL the offending files (DEL *.mpg, DEL mus*.avi, DEL test.wmv, etc.) Once done, go back to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task..." button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

Note: Could also opt for: ATTRIB -H -R -S filename before the DEL.

5. Or you can use Process Explorer: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml. Use the search function to find every handle that Explorer.Exe has open and close them (right-click on the file and choose 'close handle'). Then delete the file(s) in question.

NTFS: "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...KB;EN-US;298345

Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)

Close all open apps. Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files. Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "Explorer.Exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".

Now you will only have the command prompt and the task manager. In the Command Prompt, DEL the offending files (DEL *.mpg, DEL mus*.avi, DEL test.wmv, etc.)

The files should now delete without a problem. Now go back to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task..." button. in the dialog, type Explorer.Exe and click OK.

Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded. Use the search function to find every handle that Explorer.Exe has open and close them (right-click on the file and choose 'close handle'). Then delete the file(s) in question.

Delete - Permission Denied When Trying to Delete Folders/Files

Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Unmark "Use Simple File Sharing". Right click the folder/file in question/Properties/Security/Advanced/Owner/Set Permissions
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

When I've run into this problem I've found the easiest thing to do is to reinstall Bearshare and then uninstall it and then remove the spyware/adware at that point. A file named cd_clint.dll is seen as malware by Ad-Aware and Spybot and is removed, but you can't uninstall Kazaa/Bearshare/Limewire without it. By reinstalling you put that file back.

Have a look at Spyware Info's List of Clean and Infected File Sharing Programs

Edited by Leurgy, 22 May 2005 - 08:03 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:49 PM

That's good to know! No wonder I had so many problems removing it.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#5 sherrymyra

sherrymyra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:55 PM

I tried installing Bearshare again and then deleting it, then running Adaware. I installed it and removed it but I still have the first installed Bearshare in my programs and I can't get rid of it. I may try some of the other things suggested but I don't know alot about computers so may have to get someone to help me. In the meantime, back to part of my original question. If I just deny Bearshare with my Zone Alarm will that keep out the adware associated with Bearshare?

#6 sherrymyra

sherrymyra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:04 PM

Humm. It might be gone. The icons disapeared from my desktop but I still have something in my add/remove program. When I click on it the box that says "could not open INSTALL.LOG file" comes up. So how can I tell if it is gone or not.?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:46 AM

If I just deny Bearshare with my Zone Alarm will that keep out the adware associated with Bearshare?

Not likely. It contains "bundled programs" that change from time to time. Those programs will try to access the internet separately.

So how can I tell if it is gone or not.?

Not sure what your operating system is, but go to Start>Search or Find/Files and folders and do a search for Bearshare. If you find a folder look inside it (double click it) and see whats there. You can delete that folder if you don't find anything you want to keep.

Set ZoneAlarm to make Bearshare and any unrecognized programs to ask for permission to access the internet and post back with the details of what is trying to get out. In the programs section of ZA you have three settings, a check mark for okay, a question mark for ask and an X for deny.

After you are sure Bearshare is gone you can get a program that I like called Add-Remove Pro 2.08 that will remove your entry from Add/Remove programs. It also has a utility that will try to uninstall the program.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:51 AM

Hi gunner

There is a "dummy" cd_clint.dll you can insert to remove these programs. Get it here.

#9 sherrymyra

sherrymyra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

I tried everything suggested except Gunner's first post of possible solutions. None of the other suggestions would work. It is definately still on my computer.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:30 PM

It is definately still on my computer.

Do you mean Bearshare? If so, how do you know?

What is your operating system?

#11 sherrymyra

sherrymyra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

I have a compac with xp. Don't know what else you need to know. Anyway I did a search on my computer for Bearshare and files did show up. (Also the little bear comes up by my clock when I boot up too.) However when I try to delete the folder that I found during my search, it won't let me because it says file is being used by something else. I also tried the downloading of that dll and tried going into my remove folders and it still will not remove it that way. That window that I mentioned in my first post comes up trying that.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

Ok, there's two ways to tackle this.

The first is to go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. In the box that opens, go to the Startup tab and uncheck anything to do with Bearshare. Reboot and try again. While you are in there, look at all your startups and enter them into the Startup Database (found at the top of this page) to see what else you have running. You may identify some malware that way.

The other option is to start in Safe Mode and try removing the program there.

#13 sherrymyra

sherrymyra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

I got rid of it. Thanks. I did a search for it again on my computer like you suggested before. and it deleted this time. So yeah. Your guys are the best.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

Thats great sherrymyra. Glad we were able to help out. Thanks for posting back and letting us know. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users