Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after moving hard drive and Inserting Graphics card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cp-Poo

Cp-Poo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

I just got in a new graphics card today and i had some trouble getting it to fit as its size is quite large. Anywho, to allocate space to the card i needed to move the hard drive which i did to my knowledge correctly. I put back all cables etc that i had removed. However the SATA connectors were somewhat invaded by the Card's bulk so it was a very tight squeeze for one of them. Now when i boot up i get the Acer screen momentarily (Options for Bios etc) and then it goes into a black screen with a small white line flashing in the top left corner. I don't have a clue what to do and i surfed the web for an hour with no results..Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by Cp-Poo, 12 January 2009 - 06:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

Are you able to see the HDD in the bios menu? Are you replacing an onboard video adapter or a upgrading from a similar card (same slot type)?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Cp-Poo

Cp-Poo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

Yes and it says its 1st in line on boot up... I'm replacing an onboard video adapter. Oh and i was using vista.

Thanks

Edited by Cp-Poo, 12 January 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

What type of video card are you installing? Make model please. Also what type of system is this going into, specifically how big is the power supply?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 Cp-Poo

Cp-Poo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

pny geforce verto 9600 ...Into an acer veriton m464. The power supply is only 250-300 watts and it recommends 400W however i ordered in a 580watt PSU. I wanted to try it out just quickly and install drivers etc

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

No doubt its a power supply issue try your stock set-up again and see if the computer post. I understand your impatience wanting to try the new card (I am about as impatient as anyone). But your power supply is SERIOUSLY under powering the card and may damage the new card or damage other components due to insufficient power. Does your current PS even have the PCI-E power connections?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Cp-Poo

Cp-Poo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

Eek....No it doesnt i had to use the splitter (4-pin to 6-pin) that came with the gfx card:P Wait till i get the new PSU then?

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

While using the spliter is not the problem (some older PSU's prior to PCI-E don't have the connectors) having only 300 watt power supply is. Yes wait until you have the new power supply. There are other options such as connecting an additional power supply for the video card alone, but unless your an EE (electrical engineer) or very familiar with comptuers I would definatly wait.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 Cp-Poo

Cp-Poo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

You saved me a lot of hassle thanks alot!!!

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

Glad I could help. When you do get your new power supply. Its best to boot the computer with the internal video go into Control panel and then into your hardware tab and delete the current video drivers. Then turn off the computer and install the new card (making sure to connect ALL of the power connectors). When your computer boots enter into the bios menu and disable the on board video. This will free up the allocated memory for the on board video. Boosting your total available memory.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#11 Cp-Poo

Cp-Poo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

Will do thanks again