Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot with xp but no boot manager

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 radovitch

radovitch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hi,
I have 2 sata hard drives on my quad core machine and on the first I have a 32 bit version of XP Pro. Yesterday I installed a 64 bit version of Windows 7 beta on the second hard drive and all went well until I rebooted. There was no boot manager with the result that I went straight into XP with the Windows 7 being completely ignored.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

Have you tried Startup Repair from the Win7 bootable DVD?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 radovitch

radovitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:55 AM

Hadn't thought of that. Will check it out, thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

Other than that, I'd suspect your video drivers or your motherboard drives. To be sure, check the setup log files for Windows 7 (they're located in generally the same location as Vista setup files - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927521 )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 radovitch

radovitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Tried the Windows 7 repair. It said that it found problems with the start-up configuration and asked if I wanted to repair it. Unfortunately, on rebooting, the problem was still there. I've tried changing the physical drive boot order in the BIOS but it still boots straight into XP. I can't try your second suggestion cause I can't get into Windows 7 at all. The previous OS on that second drive was Vista and I never had any problems with the boot manager not showing up. I suppose I could try to reinstall7 but I have a feeling that's not the issue. The video driver was updated right after the installation by 7 and I've only just recently flashed the BIOS itself.

#6 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:53 PM

I would install Vista Boot Pro on your Xp system. It works great. Majorgeeks has it.

#7 radovitch

radovitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

Sorry, it looks like I need to update the above. It appears that Windows 7 did, after several attempts, repair the startup error which it listed as a corrupt Boot Sector code for System Disk Partition. Only now, as there is no boot Manager it boots straight into Win 7 and ignores XP completely even when I change the boot order in the BIOS.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

As GTJ48 states, try Vista Boot Pro to add the XP installation to the boot manager.

#9 Jonmor68

Jonmor68

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:14 AM

Sorry, it looks like I need to update the above. It appears that Windows 7 did, after several attempts, repair the startup error which it listed as a corrupt Boot Sector code for System Disk Partition. Only now, as there is no boot Manager it boots straight into Win 7 and ignores XP completely even when I change the boot order in the BIOS.

Windows 7 beta instalation instructions state that when runing XP or earlier a clean instalation is required, no mention of dual boot.
I have XP Pro and Vista on seperate hdd's but I use the bios to change to XP when required (which is rare) so I don't have the problem.
As you have 2 drives and Windows 7 is working, I would unplug the Win 7 drive and repair the bootloader on XP using your XP CD. You can then set your boot order from bios.
By the way when booting into Win 7 the Vista drive is invisible and can not be accessed, so I'm not suprised at your problem with XP.
My XP which is on a seperate drive and only set from bios shows up no problem.
If you go that route, you will be able to add your XP data folders to Win 7 libraries and use your XP docs from there.
Hope this helps
John

Edited by Jonmor68, 14 January 2009 - 01:15 AM.

#10 radovitch

radovitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Problem Fixed. Thanks to everybody for their help but especially to GTK48 for his suggestion about Vistabootpro, a program I had never heard of before. I just added XP to the Manage OS entries section, rebooted and I had the Boot Manager offering both choices.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

I'm glad to hear that this fixed it for you - there's quite a few people out there with similar problems and this may help them!

#12 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

Problem Fixed. Thanks to everybody for their help but especially to GTK48 for his suggestion about Vistabootpro, a program I had never heard of before. I just added XP to the Manage OS entries section, rebooted and I had the Boot Manager offering both choices.

Glad to hear it! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users