Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe woes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tolil

Tolil

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

Ok, to start, I'm running an HP laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium that I got over Christmas Holidays for school. It's been working fine so far. So today, in one of my classes I decided to fire up my boot skin program and switch my boot skin. I did that, and also switched my logon screen. It went back to logon, logon screen worked fine. Ok. Class finishes, I shut down, go to my next class, turn it back on. It goes to a "Windows 98 blue" and pops up a classic theme box talking about Startup Fixer or whatever. So, I let it do it's thing, but then it says that it could take over an hour, when I only had a half an hour. So I hit cancel, said I couldnt cancel, and I forced a shutdown.

I get home, fire up the HP Recovery thing, and open up MS' System Restore. Tell it to restore to yesterday. It tells me that my C:\ drive is corrupted, and that I need to run Check Disk. So I reboot the computer, and this time let the startup fixer thing finish. It reboots a couple times, then my old boot screen pops up, and a clean Vista logon pops up after. I log in. AWESOME! Everything's fixed. I notice however that some old deleted icons are back. So I hit Shift, then Delete. BLAMO!

--explorer.exe - Fatal Application Exit
The specified module could not be found. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1\VersionCue.DLL

Desktop dissapears except for my running windows, and everything pops up again as if I terminated explorer.exe and then logged in again. Oh no! So, I right click on one of the icons to bring up the drop down menu. Same stuff. I try both again a couple times. No beef. Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JayTG

JayTG

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

Try opening system restore in task manager?

This is best for whenever you want to change your logon screen, in my opinion anyway. Quick and easy to use. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

#3 Tolil

Tolil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

I used StarDock stuff. :huh:
Looking for a solution other than SysRestore, it will mess with some stuff I believe (Based on what it did earlier.)

#4 chey1893152

chey1893152

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

the exact same message shows up on my screen after accidentally updating Adobe CS4 but i don't have StarDock. I tried reinstalling CS4 but it didn't resolve the problem. It think you have to some how fix explorer.exe but i don't have a cd for this machine. At first i couldn't run any MS office files but now after reinstalling it i can't run .txt files on or off the system.

#5 Tolil

Tolil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

BTW I fixed this by uninstalling Adobe CS4.

#6 chey1893152

chey1893152

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

i knew that uninstalling CS4 would stop the symptoms but i still want to use the software. It will happen again even after i clean my registry before reinstalling it. I want to use those software! Do you guys know of any alternative?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users