Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't sign in to Outlook express

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mariska

mariska

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

Hi,i'm having this really annoying problem,that i can't gret to the bottom of!I've re-installed xp,and went to activate my outlook express 6 e-mail account,with ALL the correct passwords and i keep getting denied access,on my wifes side she signed in with no problems.
I have the feeling some program,maybe hotmail or windows live maybe causing this conflict just because when i boot up the computer and it goes to the bit where a user logs in(in this case me and my wife)it reads above my icon you have 32 unread emails when i know for a fact i've been to hotmail and deleted them all days ago!
So basically i want to know is their configuration/conflict issues between outlook and hotmail and how can i fix this,if their isn't issues anybody got any idea what is blocking outlook,
thanks in advance

N.b. outlook express is set to default in internet settings
this is tOngelma kirjauduttaessa sähköpostipalvelimeen. Salasanaa ei hyväksytty. Tili: 'mail.kolumbus.fi', Palvelin: 'mail.kolumbus.fi', Protokolla: POP3, Palvelimen vastaus: '-ERR Bad login', Portti: 110, SSL-suojattu: Ei, Palvelinvirhe: 0x800CCC90, Virhenumero: 0x800CCC92he error message

Edited by mariska, 12 January 2009 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

Are you getting any error messages when you attempt to sign in? If so, copy then paste the entire error message here.
Did you double check all your settings in OE? Look carefully at spelling and punctuation.

#3 mariska

mariska
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

Hi Queen Evie,yes i am getting an error message,i'll paste it here,but,it's in Finnish language but i'll translate the important bits..o.k?
Here goes

Ongelma kirjauduttaessa sähköpostipalvelimeen. Salasanaa ei hyväksytty. Tili: 'mail.kolumbus.fi', Palvelin: 'mail.kolumbus.fi', Protokolla: POP3, Palvelimen vastaus: '-ERR Bad login', Portti: 110, SSL-suojattu: Ei, Palvelinvirhe: 0x800CCC90, Virhenumero: 0x800CCC92

It says"problem logging in to e-mail service.Password not accepted.Account;'mail.kolumbus.fi',service:'mail.kolumbus.fi',protocol:pop3,service
answer:'-ERR Bad login',port:110,SSL-protected:No,service fault:0x800CCC90,fault number:0x800CCC92

Thats a very close translation!I have checked and double checked and even treble checked all the settings i can find and they are all identical to my wifes settings on her side,(except for the passwords of course) and she has had no problem with hers.
Also i am positive i've havn't changed any account names or passwords..
One other thing thats bothering me is the problem i wrote of in my first post,when i boot up the computer and it goes to the bit where a user logs in(in this case me and my wife)it reads above my icon you have 32 unread emails when i know for a fact i've been to hotmail and deleted them all days ago!
Any ideas on this?
Thanks for your time!Appreciated!
Regards:Chris

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:24 AM

The issue seems to be OE is rejecting your password. Have you tried deleting the password and re-entering it?
Do you have your antivirus set to scan email? If you do, disable it to see if that solves the issue. You mention your wife has no problems with her mail, so it's a long shot with the antivirus since it doesn't seem to affect her.
If all else fails, you could delete your account from OE and then set it back up. Back up any mail in OE and your address book first.

#5 mariska

mariska
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

Thanks very much for your advice Queen-Evie!
Would u have any advice on deleting it thoroughly from my side only? Or would i have to get rid of it altogether? Thanks.
Regards
Chris

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

Try something else before resorting to deleting your account in OE.
Open up OE, click on FILE/Identities/Add new identity.
Type a name in the box (you cannot use the name of the non-working account), click OK.
When asked if you want to switch to that identity, check yes.
Set up OE for your mail. Make sure all the settings, spelling, and punctuation are correct.
If all goes well and you don't get any error messages, send a test message to yourself.
Then check to see if you can receive it.
Close out OE and then open it back up. With luck, it will work.
If it does, back up any messages and the address book for the non-working account and then delete the identity.
To delete, open up OE to the new account.
File/Identities/Manage Identities. Click on the name of the old account, then Remove. Confirm that you want to delete it.
I hope this solves the issue, because it's the only thing I can think of for you to try.

PS-if it doesn't work, you can easily delete the new account or the old one-your choice.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 January 2009 - 05:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users