Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec Disabled

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raptor101

raptor101

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

Hi
On Saturday my computer indicated that Auto Updates were disabled. Also I get a popup saying Symantec Auto Protect is Disabled. I ran PC Doctor which removed some infections. After reboot, the auto updates were on but the symantec popup still persisted. On Sunday I installed AVG which removed some more. I also quick scanned with Malbytes Anti Malware. MBAM found Trojan.Vundo and removed it along with Trojan.Downloader.
I don't know if this is Vundo. I do not get any ad popups and my internet is fine.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:36 PM

Please reboot the computer
Open MBAM and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select FULL scan
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log for review
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 raptor101

raptor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

The problems on my computer seem to get worse, running slower. I would like to thank the staff at Bleeping Computer for their support. I have decided to reformat my computer. I have an HP Pavillion with XP. Can someone please tell me the procedure for reformatting with out a recovery disk?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

HP recovery CD's can be ordered for a nominal fee

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=376085
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 raptor101

raptor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

Can I not use HP System recovery with destructive recovery?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

You should be able to. I thought you meant you lost your disk
Mark
Posted Image

#7 raptor101

raptor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Destructive Recovery should remove what ever is causing this and restore my laptop to factory settings right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users