Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After factory restore and Mcafee total protection 2009

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Liketo_learn

Liketo_learn

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

My pc was infected and restored factory settings. After I installed Mcafee total protection 2009, i found some strange entries in the firewall access program.

I was checking the firewall program permission (for the first time), when i found following strange entries,

Program Name File Name Permissions
(Program no longer exists) mcdetect.exe full permission
(program no longer exists) MVTX.exe full permission

There were around 10 entries likes this, MSKCLNT.exe, MCINFO.exe, MCUPDMGR.exe, MCVSESCN.exe, MCVSSHLD.EXE, MPFCONSOLE.exe, MPFSERVICE.exe, MPFTRAY.exe, MSKAGENT.EXE,MSKDETCT.EXE,MSKSRVR.EXE, WGATRAY.EXE.

All this seems to be Mcafee related entries. but why a freshly installed program would have strange entries? should i go ahead and remove the 'full permission' for this entries?

Also there is a startup entry (ran Hijackthis to see if my pc is clean), for which i couldn't find any details.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McENUI] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MHN\McENUI.exe /hide

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

These are all modules of McAfee related. If you delete any of them, you will more than likely re-installing McAfee
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Liketo_learn

Liketo_learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Garmana. I was only confused when the 'Program no longer exists' , but the exe was given full permission... Just wanted to ensure that everything was okay.

Also there seems to be questions around McENUI.exe. Do we need this as part of startup? any ideas?

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

Hi Liketo_learn,

I was checking the firewall program permission (for the first time), when i found following strange entries,

Program Name File Name Permissions
(Program no longer exists) mcdetect.exe full permission
(program no longer exists) MVTX.exe full permission

Anything in your McAfee firewall program permissions listed as "program no longer exists" is safe to delete, as the program "no longer exists" the permission is no longer needed.

There were around 10 entries likes this, MSKCLNT.exe, MCINFO.exe, MCUPDMGR.exe, MCVSESCN.exe, MCVSSHLD.EXE, MPFCONSOLE.exe, MPFSERVICE.exe, MPFTRAY.exe, MSKAGENT.EXE,MSKDETCT.EXE,MSKSRVR.EXE, WGATRAY.EXE.

All this seems to be Mcafee related entries. but why a freshly installed program would have strange entries? should i go ahead and remove the 'full permission' for this entries?

These should be left alone, as you have already noted, they are McAfee entries and are required for it to connect to the internet. The Firewall program permissions list will grow even more populated over time as you allow other trusted programs (IE, Firefox etc.) access to the Internet.

You can find further info on anything listed in Program Permissions by highlighting an entry and clicking Learn More located in the bottom right corner of the Program Permissions window (see image below).

Posted Image

Also there is a startup entry (ran Hijackthis to see if my pc is clean), for which i couldn't find any details.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McENUI] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MHN\McENUI.exe /hide

This is a legitimate McAfee entry and nothing to worry about, Unless you are trained in decifering HJT logs, it would probably be best to leave them alone and seek the help of an expert if necessary. I presume you used an online HJT analysis, these can be inaccurate at the best of times and will only cause undue concern.

Hope this has helped.

All the best. :thumbsup:

Edited by RedDawn, 15 January 2009 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users