Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

modem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tstalhood

tstalhood

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

My daughter previously had comcast high speed internet but she moved and can only get dial up. When she tried to make a connection she first received this error 633 which says port all ready in use.
We figured it was a device driver issue or just where she had high speed internet. She called her dial up tech support and he took her thru a couple of steps and said reboot your computer and if that doesnt work you need a new modem..she said he didnt even try really helping and rushed her off the phone.
Now after rebooting it says error 797 and we show nothing in com ports no modem in device manager or anything. I find it hard to believe theres something wrong with the modem but I dont understand.
What she has his a
Hp a705w windows xp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

Did your daughter install the drivers for the dialup modem?

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/duns797.asp

Louis

#3 tstalhood

tstalhood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:25 AM

We haven't done that yet because we weren't sure. She can't download off of the internet so she is going to bring it here today.
We even went as far as a complete system recovery and still nothing. We figured if we started off fresh when we rebooted we would receive the new hardware found message but didnt receive it.
We will try downloading drivers today.

#4 tstalhood

tstalhood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

Sorry but beings its not detecting anything now how do we know which drivers?

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

I am not sure of your experience level, so excuse my suggestions. Are you sure you have a modem and not just a network card? I run into this alot believe it or not. I also ran into a USB cable shoved into a RJ45 connector, so go figure. If a modem is installed, and recognised in "Device Manager", have you tried going to "Internet Properties>Connections and setting up a new connection?

In "Device Manager" is a modem listed, or listed with a yellow exclamation mark? If all else fails, remove the modem, boot the system, shut down, and reinstall modem and see if that helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317222 I wish you luck.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 January 2009 - 09:56 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 tstalhood

tstalhood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

Well Im not an expert lol but I have learned to navigate the system pretty well.
We checked the phone and modem options and shows nothing in there undr modems tab we also checked device driver nothing there either. It was showing in there now its gone. We did a complete revovery still not bringing anything up.
Its a modem.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...uct=435558#N374

PCI K56flex data/fax modem, per specs above.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2009 - 03:42 PM.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Take the modem out and reseat it. It may be loose
If you see gold contacts where it fits into the PCI slot it isnt in all the way.
That would explain why the system plug and play doesnt see it
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users