Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone else having MSN live problems?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:58 AM

As the title says.

I can log into MSN Messenger Live but not very often. Each time that I cant I get different error codes.

Also, when I do eventually get on it it shows 4 messages but when I clik it and after about 2 minutes it says I E cannot connect (always)

Not the end of my life as we know it but it is annoying, anyone else identify with this?
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gstick

Gstick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:43 AM

I just signed in, and it told me there was a new version. Did you update yet?

"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

#3 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:15 AM

I just signed in, and it told me there was a new version. Did you update yet?

I just signed in and wasn't informed of a newer version so I guess I must have it. In the MSN live window, the toolbar just below your picture are some icons. One of which is an envelope, mine has 4 next to it but when I clik it after a few minutes it says that IE cant connect. Been like that for weeks now....anyone any ideas?
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

#4 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

I signed up for Microsoft Passport Live/Windows Live, thinking that would help with my update problems. Had nothing but problems since I signed up. Acted like I was infected with a virus as there were very strange behaviors. If you use firefox or a browser other than IE7, that seems to compound the problem. Sometimes Live will require you to go to IE or MSN to sign in. I found it very difficult to unsubscribe.

That said, have had much better performance since I unsubscribed. I think they went "Live" much too soon. Looks handsome, but very, very intrusive and many many performance problems.

You will get a warning that you can't go to any "Live" sites or ever sign up again. Oh, well.

#5 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

Last week I got a Microsoft Download add-on to my Mozilla Firefox. It didn't work at first. I downloaded the 4.5 downloader that was recommended at BC for Microsoft (Windows XP-942288-v3), and there has been much improvement. You can download through your preferred browser, but you have to re-enroll with live through an e-mail verification process. I was able to download and install that vital security patch that everyone has had such trouble with, with their computers endlessly cycling trying to initialize it without success Windows XP-KB958444).

You can download it, install and run that patch immediately after re-enrolling in live. Only downside: MSN will start to run a home page on your preferred browser, but you can click it off.

Live will also send e-mail notifications of updates, which will work much better than automatic downloads. Live asks for an alternative e-mail address as well, so you will be pretty much covered.

CAVEAT: I am not a techie, please be sure you download your updates in order.

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 02 February 2009 - 11:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users