Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs Not Launching

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:33 AM

Good morning all,

My computer, for all intents and purposes seems to be working as it should be.

There are some minor anomalies with respect to browsing, and yesterday, internet explorer seemed to get rather sluggish.

I've had some random issues when browsing and searching the net, and so decided to run some anti-spyware.

I currently have Malwarebytes Antimalware Installed, and Spybot Search And Destroy.

When i try to launch either of them, i get a momentary egg timer icon and then nothing. The app seems to have disappeared before i see it.

When i tried to visit the microsoft malware scanner page, i get a page cannot be displayed. ( this is also happening with other online scanning tools )

Can anyone advise what might be stopping these programs from running ??

Thanks in advance,

CoS
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:16 AM

Let us know two things.

A. Operating System you are running is Windows XP Home according to your profile, right?

B. Please do the following: Get event IDs to help identify the problem. How to Check the Application Event Log for Errors.

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:49 AM

Jay-P, thanks for getting back to me ...

On the system in question, i'm running XP - Pro sorry for the confusion cause .. i should have mentioned that in my original post.

I've looked at the event viewer, but it seems its lagging about 50 mins behind, in that @ 11.46 this morning the most recent even was listed as 10.54

I'll keep an eye on it here .. i've tried to run the application again so going to wait to see if the even viewer updates, but having looked back through it over the last two days, there seems to be no reference to the attempts at launching any of these programs.
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:09 AM

I remeber I had a problem with lanching some applications, just nothing will happen after i click the shortcut. The reason in my case was Win32.Jeefo, that added it's code to all .exe files it could find and access. I removed it with Nod32.

Don't think that you have Win32.Jeefo, because it's pretty old and probably all modern scanners detect it, but definetely malware scan is what you should do.

#5 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

Thanks man,

Can you suggest a malware scanner i can run online given that none of the one's i have installed will launch ??

Thanks,

#6 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

don't know about online scanners, but i think you should try downloading some portable ones, on another pc, and try to run them from a flash drive.

I use DrWeb CureIt when i need portable scanner.

#7 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

Konstantin, thanks for the heads-up on that one ... DrWeb CureIt found two backdoor infections that other scanners had missed.

Hopefully that should help sort out the other problems i've been having.

No doubt i'll be back if not

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users