Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Computer freezing whenever apds.dll is acessed.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_michelle_k_*

Guest_michelle_k_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:20 AM

I'm running an HP Pavilion dv6500 Laptop on Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Every time the file C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_095f6148c74a7a64\apds.dll is acessed, it causes my entire laptop to freeze (to the point that I need to manually reboot it).

Sidenote:
This driver was downloaded February 14th 2008 as part of a manditory update for Windows Vista.
You need this update (KB937287) in order to run Service Pack 1, and so this update is un-uninstallable.

The computer freezes:

-Trying to open the actual file (in My Computer). In this case, as soon as the file is right-clicked, the computer freezes.
-When doing a full virus scan with Avira AntiVir. The computer freezes as soon as the virus scan reaches this file.
-Doing a virus scan with ewido. The computer freezes as soon as the virus scan reaches this file.
-Doing a full scan with Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. The computer freezes as soon as the scan reaches this file.
-Doing a scan with Window's Defender. The computer freezes as soon as the scan reaches this file.
I have scanned the system with Spybot- Search & Destroy, and the scan finished clean with no infections found.

During the Avira AntiVir scan, no viruses are found before the program freezes (ussually around 75%).
This was the same with Ewido, Malware, and Defender.

I have tried to run System File Checker, and it reached about 70% of its initial scan before the system froze (tried twice)
I have tried to run Error-Checking, and the system freezes at 21% everytime.
I do know that these two processes take a long time, and I left them for hours. They were indeed frozen, and required a manual reboot.

I do have CCleaner, and I run it every month or so.
I also have HijackThis, and know how to get it to formulate an analysis of my computer, but do not how to read the logs myself, nor have I had one of the logs analyzed. I do not know if this would help though.

This problem has been happening for months- my guess is since February when the update was downloaded. I am not sure what to do at this point- if reformatting is my only option, or if there is something else I can try.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

I would recommend submitting the file for a jotti scan and see what they say:
http://virusscan.jotti.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Guest_michelle_k_*

Guest_michelle_k_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

I tried to submit the file for a jotti scan, but as mentioned before, as soon as the file is accessed (clicked upon, opened, right-clicked, anything) the computer freezes.

I have scanned my computer with AntiVir telling it to skip the folder that the problem dll is in, and it found no viruses.

I can't delete the dll, I can't scan it individually, I can't replace it with the same file from a like computer. No matter what I do, the laptop freezes as soon as the apds.dll is acessed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users