Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario 5310US Reboot/Restart/Reset problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DarkMagician1350

DarkMagician1350

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:22 AM

First and foremost, here are the stock specs:

Compaq Presario 5310US specifications

and the things that have been changed are:

1.4Ghz Processor
500w OCZ StealthXStream
extra 256mb RAM
new heatsink/fan
ATI Radeon x1050 Graphics card (AGP)
1TB Seagate internal Sata (connected via PCI card)

steps taken to resolve the problem:

updated all drivers and bios
changed from auto restart (post errors; My computer>Properties>advanced>startup and recovery>uncheck auto restart)
upgraded all components above (CPU, PSU)
replaced heatsink/fan, added case fan, new thermal paste (artic silver5)
tested both sticks of RAM with memtest86 (separate and together)
ran Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Adaware (all separate), and CCleaner

Now note, this is NOT a OS specific problem, I have it happen in both Ubuntu and Windows XP. it happens most often when scrolling very quickly through a list/page, be it iTunes, Word, Notepad, Firefox page, etc. or when something labor intensive is going on, such as photoshop, 3 applications, file transfers, video conversions (avi->mp4/iPhone). the problem was present PRIOR to installing the graphics card. I tried to install SP3 (XP) but it restarts in the middle of the install and then has to revert to SP2. I don't believe its a heat issue either, as the computer can do it on first start of the day or not do it for 12 hours.

The problem has been going on for 3 years AT LEAST! I did a search via google and found out this is a very common problem with the compaq 5310US, but nobody has been able to say why. The only things left to replace would be the motherboard or the hard drive. Note, I don't have money for a new computer right now, the only reason I was able to replace all those parts are because they came from my brother's old system that crapped out on him and I picked up a couple of parts for cheap ($10 or less) such as CPU ($10 after shipping) RAM (Free from craigslist).

pretty much my question is, does anyone know what is causing this, I KNOW it has to be a hardware component, and it must be coming from the motherboard, but what? is it the motherboard, seeing as it was specially made by intel for this computer (I learned via google)? is there a fix or do I just have to live with it?

I tried contacting Compaq/HP on the issue, but they said they don't offer tech support since the machine is "too old".

thank you in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

If you've had a 3-year problem...with doing routine things on your system...and have replaced various hardware items...it seems to me that RAM would be the likely suspect.

XP can run comfortably on 500MB of RAM...if the system doesn't get overly stressed. When it does get stressed, it's the RAM or lack thereof that probably will prove to be inadequate.

Just my opinion :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 DarkMagician1350

DarkMagician1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

If you've had a 3-year problem...with doing routine things on your system...and have replaced various hardware items...it seems to me that RAM would be the likely suspect.

XP can run comfortably on 500MB of RAM...if the system doesn't get overly stressed. When it does get stressed, it's the RAM or lack thereof that probably will prove to be inadequate.

Just my opinion :thumbsup:.

Louis

I've tested both stick separately and together using memtest86 and they came out with now errors. is it just LACK of memory? I know XP likes 1-2gigs, but 512mb is all the board supports. if it is lack of, I thought it usually just bogs down until some memory becomes available...

I'm newish to computers, I know a bit, but still don't understand somethings. Like, can a new bios version help the motherboard recognize/use more RAM or is it pre-determined from the factory how much it can support? Is there another bios version that can be used on this motherboard. all I have read is it is an Intel board specifically made for this computer build.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

Just for the heck of it try dropping the hardware accelleration on the video card down all the way and reboot
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 DarkMagician1350

DarkMagician1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

Just for the heck of it try dropping the hardware accelleration on the video card down all the way and reboot

how would I go about doing this? is there a way to do it on bios as well as this problem was present when just using the IGP.

anything to get it more stable.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

Control Panel - Display Properties - Settings tab
Click the Advanced button
Go to the troubleshoot tab
Drop the hardware accelleration down all the way & reboot

Might be a wild shot but it is worth a try
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 DarkMagician1350

DarkMagician1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

Control Panel - Display Properties - Settings tab
Click the Advanced button
Go to the troubleshoot tab
Drop the hardware accelleration down all the way & reboot

Might be a wild shot but it is worth a try

gave it a try. went rightclick>properties>settings>advanced>troubleshoot>no-hardware-acceleration.

it seemed a touch more stable, didn't crash while I was flipping quickly through iTunes while it was playing (which was common), but my vlc video seemed choppier, maybe it was my imagination. But when I went into ATI Catalyst Control Center (the driver support for the vid card) and reposition the screen, it crashed/restarted without warning.

any other suggestions?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Are you using current ATI drivers or older drivers with that card?

My experience with my ATI cards indicates that the original drivers work better than the newer ones when using older cards.

I would totally uninstall everything connected to ATI (drivers, Catalyst, MCC, etc.) and install anew, using older versions.

There's an uninstaller tool available on the Web. When I did my uninstalls, I just manually deleted everything ATI-related from the registry and from my files...before installing anew.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=A...amp;btnG=Search

Louis

#9 DarkMagician1350

DarkMagician1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

Are you using current ATI drivers or older drivers with that card?

My experience with my ATI cards indicates that the original drivers work better than the newer ones when using older cards.

I would totally uninstall everything connected to ATI (drivers, Catalyst, MCC, etc.) and install anew, using older versions.

There's an uninstaller tool available on the Web. When I did my uninstalls, I just manually deleted everything ATI-related from the registry and from my files...before installing anew.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=A...amp;btnG=Search

Louis

well, the problem is unrelated to the card. I only installed it to take some "pressure" off the motherboard, so it didn't have to supply graphics. I also installed it because the board only supports 512mb of memory and this was an indirect way of installing more "memory" if that makes sense.

I also have a Nvidia card that I have pulled right now. The system was doing this prior to either card being installed. I only have the ATI card in there because knights of the old republic causes the system to fail every single time, but it requires a video card.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

Ok, thanks :thumbsup:.

Well...it could just be time for a new motherboard/CPU or system.

I'd go for a cheap motherboard/CPU combo and wind up with a much faster, newer system with more capabilities...for less than $100. I'd have to buy new RAM, but DDR2 is dirt cheap these days.

I can't imagine enduring prolonged system problems for years.

Louis

#11 DarkMagician1350

DarkMagician1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

Ok, thanks :thumbsup:.

Well...it could just be time for a new motherboard/CPU or system.

I'd go for a cheap motherboard/CPU combo and wind up with a much faster, newer system with more capabilities...for less than $100. I'd have to buy new RAM, but DDR2 is dirt cheap these days.

I can't imagine enduring prolonged system problems for years.

Louis

yeah, its just not feasible with my income at the moment, maybe at tax return time. I get my "bargain" stuff at pricewatch.com.

http://www1.pricewatch.com/public/info2.as...82&a=997120 - is that a good buy? it comes out to $89 after shipping and comes with CPU motherboard and RAM, figured I can use my old hard drive and optical drives, plus my agp video card.

that motherboard is 775, but will it support a core2duo when the price drops and/or when I get money?

EDIT: Edited the link, didn't realize it was a dud...also included the screenshot of "checkout" so you don't even have to click on the link.

Attached Files

Edited by DarkMagician1350, 13 January 2009 - 12:28 AM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

Being who I am :thumbsup:, I think anything is a good price as long as I'm willing to pay it :flowers:.

I have bought items from Ascendtech before and I have no complaints. I visit www.pricewatch a lot, along with Newegg and Tiger Direct websites.

I tend to not think of getting less than a dual-core combination of some type these days, but I tend to use onboard video and I don't worry about backward compatibility with the video cards or RAM which I already have on hand...but that's just the way that I look at things.

IMO, the step up to dual-channel RAM and even a very cheap dual-core system...outweighs the additional cost. Examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813135096

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820220088

I also tend to buy AMD processors because they are less for more, IMO, when compared to comparable Intel CPUs.

Louis

#13 DarkMagician1350

DarkMagician1350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

just wanted to add a follow up, I know its been a while...

I actually solved the issue last fall, maybe it was this spring. First, I went out and spent $10 on a new compatible motherboard (gigabyte) and it worked well for a year, but seeing as it had no warranty, when it failed I was SOL. So I decided to investigate (both boards).

the OEM (intel) board had 6 blown caps, 3 located along the graphics part of the board, another 3 scattered around the board. I ended up replacing 90% of the caps on the board (came to a whooping $15), no crashes since.

the replacement (gigabyte) board had 3 or 4 blown caps, it was failing to post/boot. I again, replaced all the caps and sold the board for $15 on craigslist, telling them it wasn't warrantied, but providing pics and receipts of the caps being replaced.

thanks for everyone who helped, it was indeed a graphics issue, just less about the card and more about a failing board.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback...it's always useful and it may assist someone in a similar situation.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users