Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Lost Connection to Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aw9018

aw9018

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

This is an old IBM Thinkpad (Win 98se), which, until today accessed the internet via a Belkin PCMCIA ethernet card connected to a Linksys wired router. It was also set up to share files with another PC (XP Home). The router is connected to the internet via a cable modem. There are also 2 other PCs which connect wirelessly through a Linksys WAP. When I couldn't connect to the internet from the laptop, I checked the other machines and they all could connect fine. After restarting the laptop and rebooting the router, the problem continued. I checked ipconfig and found that the IP address and subnet mask were showing zeros and the space next to "default gateway" was blank. I also tried a different ethernet cable hoping for a good old fashioned defective wire but that was not it. The indicator lights on the connection to the card (labeled "link/act" and "100") are both lit. I attempted ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew but there was no change.
Does anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 glnbnz

glnbnz

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

First lets make sure the network card is working properly. In the command prompt type: ping 127.0.0.1 which is the loop back address for the card and should return (4) Reply from 127.0.0.1: etc. If by chance you don't get 4 replies you may have a bad network card.

If you do get a the 4 replies then try to type: ipconfig /release then when it completes type: ipconfig /renew and see if the router hands you out a new IP address.

This should get you started
Note to self
<Insert something clever here>

#3 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for helping me out. Unfortunately, I didn't notice your reply until about 8 hours after it was posted because I gave up on looking for one since it had been several days since the original post. Pinging 127.0.0.1 resulted in 4 packets being sent and received with 0% lost, but ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew had no effect. I still have zeros for the IP address and the subnet mask and nothing next default gateway. Since the original post I also uninstalled and reinstalled the network card and the driver, which did not work either. It does appear in device manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users