Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mark3000

mark3000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:58 PM

HI, have never posted before so sorry if this is the wrong forum!

I have a computer running XP pro with service pack 2. Norton alerted me a couple of days ago that i had a virus, and without thinking i asked norton to delete it. It turned out to be explorer.exe so now i have no desktop icons, start menu, taskbar etc... Norton did not keep a backup of the file and i've checked its definatly not on my computer and it cant be run from task manager.

I dont have the XP Pro CD or a CD with SP2 on so i cant get explorer.exe off these. Also i cant delete service pack 2 (which i believe would replace explorer.exe with an older version). System restore is also out of the question.

Would there be any reason i couldnt copy explorer.exe from a friend who had an almost identical system?

Any other suggestions would be great.

Many Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

Why is system restore out of the question? Even if it restored the virus you could try other anti-virus scans online which may be able to remove the virus without deletion.

Yes copying explorer.exe from your friends system should be fine.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 mark3000

mark3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:38 PM

hi there,

I cant use system restore becuase i turned it off when deleting the virus (a web page i looked at told me to do this so the virus wouldnt be restored later) so there are no restore points to restore to!

Have got a copy of a friends explorer.exe so will put that on tonight and post the results as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help rimmer! :thumbsup:

Mark

#4 mark3000

mark3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

Explorer.exe is on and working perfectly.

Sorted!

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

Well done! and thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users