Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't let me in!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 waynerd

waynerd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:13 AM

Hello to all the wise people that will inevitably save me here.

Here is my problem with as much info as I can include. (tramsmitting from my laptop)

Running Windows XP Home Edition with SP 2 (I have the disc)

My main harddrive is partitioned into C: and D: drives. The C: drive contains only OS and software, no files.

I had Norton 360 installed, it expired and shut off. (I'm broke and was waiting to renew)
Somewhere along the line I got a virus, I got rid of most of it using Malwarebytes but I kept getting a trojan.downloader that kept coming back. Left unattended it downloaded all it's other nasty friends and soon I had them all back.
I uninstalled Norton as I was pissed that it just shut down because I didn't renew and installed the trial version of Kaspersky.
I was prompted to download the newest version, I did.
I was prompted to download the updated definitions, I did.
I then ran a scan and noticed that it found the trojan.downloader.
I removed the virus, restarted as prompted.
Upon reboot I got my login screen in which I am the only user and have no password.
I clicked enter, got the pretty music that windows plays when logging in, then immediately got the pretty music that plays when windows logs out and the screen goes back to blue displaying the login/password box.
This is the same when attempting to login in both regular and SAFE modes.

I have tried a repair/re-install of windows from the CD, no change
I have booted from the CD into the recovery console and tried FIXMBR and then CHKDSK /R as recommended from a different forum. No change.

Any help would be immensely appreciated as I'm at the end of my rope. (it's a good thing I shave my head).

Wayne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

This has worked for me

http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...onlog-off-loop/

Note that there is 3 pages to the guide.
Do not skip any steps.

#3 waynerd

waynerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:24 AM

Thank you for your response. I'm sad to say I got impatient and re-installed windows completely. What a pain in the ass.

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:26 AM

Thank you for your response. I'm sad to say I got impatient and re-installed windows completely. What a pain in the ass.

That is the best fix, honestly.

However troubleshooting lets you learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users