Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop error: 0x0000008E after opening program

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BCEureka

BCEureka

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

Hello and I hope someone can help.

I looked through quite a few posts but I could not find an exact fit with my problem but I have tried many of the suggestions mentioned in postings that were close to my problem. First of all I am on a Dell Inspiron 600m using MS Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3.
My problem occurs when I try opening up one particular program application (QSR NVivo). This is not a new software package and I never had a problem with it before. However the problem began right after I updated my Yahoo tool bar, ran its antispyware and removed what it found. I did check to see if any of what it found seemed related to any certain applications but nothing stood out as anything more than adware and one trojan. So after removing those issues I tried to open my NVivo software which resulted in the stop error: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0xF4c6c21D, 0xF17cc7Ec, 0x00000000). At the top of the screen but not in the area where it would identify any drivers it said "Try changing video adapters" (just thought that might be worth including) Anyways, this happens each time now. I did remove the yahoo updates in case that was an issue.

Solutions I tried:
- Tried the driver reset tool but it showed nothing wrong.
- Tried a system restore but for some reason there were no restore points available.
- Windows Memory Diagnostic. I downloaded the necessary files onto a bootable CD through my NERO software but the diagnostic never ran and only opened up a DOS prompt. After many tries I abandoned this.
- Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Found a trojan or two and some spyware. Still got stop error.
- Downloaded and ran Avast virus software and it found another Winsystem32 trojan-gen (something close to that)
I really went through everything that was suggested in posting http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133988/stop-0x0000008e-error/

Over the past few weeks program such as MS explorer have had problems freezing up and now with this new problem which some suggested may be a RAM problem, I was thinking that may be the issue rather than a virus. But since the memory diagnostic not functioning properly I don't know if there are any failures.

I hope this helps and I have included enough information to illustrate the problem up until now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:23 AM

Did you try reinstalling your video driver?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:32 AM

some suggested may be a RAM problem, I was thinking that may be the issue rather than a virus. But since the memory diagnostic not functioning properly I don't know if there are any failures.

Use Memtest86
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Use IMGburn (or your current image burner) to burn the iso to disc, then boot to the cd.

#4 BCEureka

BCEureka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:50 AM

Thank you for the response.

When I made the CD to boot from for the memory diagnostic I should burned it as an image? I just made a "bootable CD". Would that be why it didn't work?

#5 BCEureka

BCEureka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:51 AM

Did you try reinstalling your video driver?

Would that be in the XP operating system disc?

#6 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:12 AM

Thank you for the response.

When I made the CD to boot from for the memory diagnostic I should burned it as an image? I just made a "bootable CD". Would that be why it didn't work?

THe file you download is a .zip file.
Inside of that .zip file is a .iso file.
The .iso needs to be burnt with a program that can burn disc images.
It is different from a data cd where the actual .iso file is burnt onto the disc.
Using IMGburn you would select "Burn disc from image" and select the image and burn, it will automatically create the bootable cd as long as the burning succeeds.

You can think of an ISO file as a literal "image" of a cd-rom disc. The exact copy of all the files and format that creates the disc is contained in the one .iso file. Then using a program like IMGburn, it extracts all those files and copies that "image" to the disc in an exact replica of the .iso file.

As far as your question to BCEureka about if the video card driver is on the xp disc, the answer is "probably not"
-Do me a favor and type devmgmt.msc into a run command. In the device manager that pops up, look for the little '+' sign next to display adapters. Press it.
Tell me what it says when the display adapters group expands.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:13 AM

Would that be in the XP operating system disc?

No. See the following tutorial for how to reinstall a driver.

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 BCEureka

BCEureka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

"As far as your question to BCEureka about if the video card driver is on the xp disc, the answer is "probably not"
-Do me a favor and type devmgmt.msc into a run command. In the device manager that pops up, look for the little '+' sign next to display adapters. Press it.
Tell me what it says when the display adapters group expands"

Under the device manager>Display adapters it displays one item "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000". There are not other symbols next to it that be associated with a problem.

Thank you for the clarification on the ISO image and bootable disc. I will try that route again and see what happens.

Thanks

#9 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

"As far as your question to BCEureka about if the video card driver is on the xp disc, the answer is "probably not"
Tell me what it says when the display adapters group expands"

Under the device manager>Display adapters it displays one item "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000". There are not other symbols next to it that be associated with a problem.

Thank you for the clarification on the ISO image and bootable disc. I will try that route again and see what happens.

Thanks

You will need GPU-z because "radeon 9000" is a series of graphics cards, not a specific model #
Get it here, http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1304k/GPU-Z.0.3.1.exe
and use it to find your graphics card driver.

Go to the Add/remove programs in the control panel to uninstall all ATI software off your computer. If there is nothing in there for ATI then that is fine. If the uninstaller asks you to reboot, do not reboot yet.
Then go back to the "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000" in the device manager, right click and select "uninstall"
It will ask you to reboot. So reboot
Go to http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html and find the driver you need for your card. If it is not available you may need to get it from Dell :thumbsup:
Download and install it.

#10 BCEureka

BCEureka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

You will need GPU-z because "radeon 9000" is a series of graphics cards, not a specific model #
Get it here, http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1304k/GPU-Z.0.3.1.exe
and use it to find your graphics card driver.

Go to the Add/remove programs in the control panel to uninstall all ATI software off your computer. If there is nothing in there for ATI then that is fine. If the uninstaller asks you to reboot, do not reboot yet.
Then go back to the "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000" in the device manager, right click and select "uninstall"
It will ask you to reboot. So reboot
Go to http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html and find the driver you need for your card. If it is not available you may need to get it from Dell :thumbsup:
Download and install it.
[/quote]

Okay, I downloaded the GPU-z and it found the "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000" and the GPU was listed as M9. Is that the model number? There was also a Device ID which was 1002-4C66. Not sure if that helps identify anything. Then I went to the ati.amd.com site you linked here and it only listed up to the 9000 series before it selected the software for download. I just want to make sure that I don't need any further info (like a model #) before I go ahead and remove my existing software.

Thanks for the patience.

#11 BCEureka

BCEureka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

Well the problem seems to have been fixed. I ran a malwarebytes virus scan late last night and it found a number of trojans which apparently were not taken care of with the other virus scans. These needed a roboot to fix them according to the program but I didn't make an attempt to open the program that ended up in the stop error until just now and it opened up just fine.

So I guess the problem was with the viruses. Is that a safe assumption or would you recommend replacing the graphics card software? Oh and also I got the windows memory diagnostic per your instructions and it worked. Ran 3 passes and there were no errors found.

Unless you have any other recommendations then I'll hope the the problem is solved.

Thanks for your help and patience. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users