Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bizznitch

bizznitch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

Hello everyone, I have a problem involving my newly established wireless connection on my laptop.

I am staying at a friends place right now, and he has the same wireless router setup that I have at home. I was able to get windows to detect the connection, and I am online and running great. Or at least I was until yesterday when Windows2000 asked me to install some critical updates. Beforehand I was running SP4. I installed about 9 or so updates, can't remember what they were, mostly generic security fixes. Anyways, after installing the stuff I notice that often times I cannot get internet explorer to display web pages. I can still connect to MSN messenger and talk to my friends, so there is no doubt that I have a connection. (I can even play games online via battle.net) Another perplexing thing is that when i start my computer up fresh in the morning, I can usually browse the net without problems for a good 5 minutes or so. After these few minutes it gets to a point that, when I click a link, I can't get the page to load. If I restart the computer, I get the same effect. I can browse for about 5minutes before internet explorer just dies on me. The one link that seems to kill my web browsing capability is the little email button in MSN messenger. I can browse along fine till i click it and then it just loads the page forever. Sometimes I get a message saying "Page cannot be displayed" or sometimes it'll say "Internet explorer could not open the search page".

I've been reading through some tech support stuff on the net and still have no idea how to fix my problem. From the sites I've visited I gather it can be a DNS problem? or a winsock problem?? I'm really at a loss here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(OK, heres an update) My friend sent me a mozilla firefox install over MSN messenger today. I install, and I'm up and running on the web within minutes. I have absolutely NO PROBLEM browsing the web for any amount of time with firefox, internet explorer is still not working however. This leads me to believe that my problem is focused with Internet Explorer and nothing more. Any ideas ???
Thanks!

Edited by bizznitch, 23 May 2005 - 01:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users