Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Errors on new USB drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

OK, I've never heard of this happening though it has to be theoretically possible. Just bought 4 new USB drives (Kingston Data Traveler) and after putting some data on one discovered errors. (Fortunately the files were still available on other media and no loss of data occurred.) Searching out a 'flash drive tester' (chkflsh) I tested it & it's full of errors. A good dozen or more. Yeesh... shouldn't QC catch something like that before it goes into the package? I have visited the 'customer service' page and filled out the form requesting info on what they suggest. No reply yet. So, I'm also asking here. If a USB drive has errors when brand new, is this likely to be any way correctable, like reformatting a few times? Or does it have to be bad hardware? Do manufacturers tend to honor their warranties promptly? (Specifically Kingston in this case.) Or would it be smarter to go back to the store where I actually bought them and ask for a replacement?

BTW, I noticed something odd about these newer USB drives vs. the older ones I have. The old ones, also Kingston DTI but 2 GB, trigger the 'automatic' options popup when inserted but these new ones, Kingston DTI 4 GB, do not. Why would that be? Does the larger capacity make Windows see it as a HD rather than a removable drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

If a USB drive has errors when brand new, is this likely to be any way correctable, like reformatting a few times? Or does it have to be bad hardware? Do manufacturers tend to honor their warranties promptly? (Specifically Kingston in this case.)

I don't know the answer to whether reformatting would help (I don't think it would hurt to try though, if you don't have anything on it.), but Kingston is, from my experience, pretty good with honouring their warranties.

I had one of their USB drives die on me a while ago, and when I contacted them to get a RMA and ship it to them for a replacement, they even offered to pay for the shipping fee. It took less than a week for the arrangements to be made to mail out the defect drive.

Or would it be smarter to go back to the store where I actually bought them and ask for a replacement?

It might be easier to do that, as then you won't have to prepare all that RMA stuff. It depends on where you bought it though. If you bought it from a brand-name big company store, they probably will. If it's a small computer parts shop then they may not accept it.

Does the larger capacity make Windows see it as a HD rather than a removable drive?

I don't think so...but you can check my looking in My Computer. If will say whether it sees it as a removable drive, or a HD.

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

OK, the first two had "physical" errors, now one of the good ones is having "logical" errors. What is the difference? (Using Chkflsh.exe btw : http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=P...MS/programs_en) Looks like I ought to return all of them because there must be a bad batch or something.

#4 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

OK, now I've been testing the 2 GB USB drives I already had. They are showing no errors at all. Yet all but one of the new 4 GB drives have shown errors now. It's annoying that the errors are not consistent. Not in the same place but just randomly scattered every time. Maybe there is actually a problem with the controller logic rather than the flash ram? hmm. It's looking like I ought to return all four to Kingston for replacement just to be safe.

#5 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:10 AM

If you have time, maybe you could try searching around and see if anyone with your same model has had the same problems.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

The old ones trigger the 'automatic' options popup when inserted

Why you don't want Autorun to initialize
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/193387/when-is-autoruninf-really-an-autoruninf/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users