Hello tooter801 and welcome to the BC forums. After reviewing your log I see a few items that require our attention. Please print these directions and then proceed with the following steps in order.Step #1Important
Your copy of HijackThis needs to be in a folder of it's own. If it is run from Temporary folders the backups and HijackThis itself could be accidentally deleted if the Temporary folders are cleaned. If it is run from the desktop then the backup files and folders can clutter up the desktop and be accidentally deleted. If it is run from inside a compressed file then the backups are not created at all.
- Please open My Computer
- Double-click on Local Disk (C:)
- Click on the File menu, point to New and then click on Folder. Name the folder 'HijackThis' or 'HJT'.
- Unzip to or copy and paste HijackThis.exe to the new folder.
Start HijackThis and click the Scan
button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShowWnd] ShowWnd.exe
Now close ALL open windows except HijackThis
and click the Fix Checked
button to finish the repair.Step #3We need to make sure all hidden files are showing so please:
- Click Start.
- Open My Computer.
- Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
- Select the View tab.
- Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
- Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known types option.
- Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Click OK.
Now search for these files and delete all instances. Windows XP's search feature is a little different. When you click on 'All files and folders' on the left pane, click on the 'More advanced options' at the bottom. Make sure that Search system folders, Search hidden files and folders, and Search subfolders are checked.ShowWnd.exeNote: If you receive any error messages while trying to delete any of the above files/folders then reboot into Safe Mode and try to delete them again. See the instructions below on how to boot into Safe Mode.If needed, start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- As soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
- Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
- Press the Enter key.
It appears that bot Symantec and McAfee are running simultaneously onthis computer. It is not recommended to run 2 anti-virus applications at the same time. There can be file access conflicts and if a virus is deteced neithe program will be able repair or quarantine the file. I suggest retaining the program you like the best and remove the other one.Step #5
OK. Reboot your computer normally, start HijackThis and perform a new scan. Use the Add Reply
button to post your new log file back here along with details of any problems you encountered performing the above steps and I will review it when it comes in.