Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:55 PM

I hope you can help me, here's my situation :
I have three drives
C:/ 10 GB Windows XP installed but never used
D:/ 6 GB Windows XP installed and used daily
E:/ 29 GB Windows XP not installed
I would like to know how to uninstall XP on my C:/ and D:/ drive and install it on my E:/ drive without losing any data.
I would really appreciate an answer,
Thank you in advance for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

How are you getting it to boot from the D: drive? When XP boots does it default to the D: drive? that is to say is the system folder D:\windows\system32? That's really confusing! Are they three seperate physical drives?
What is on the E: drive?

To answer you question -
Back up any data on your E: drive to CD or DVD.
Format the E: drive or delete the partition using XP's Computer Management tool from the Control Panel. Select Storage>Disk Management this will give you graphical information about your drives and what's on them.
Download a cloning tool like Ghost or R-drive -
(There is a free download of a trial version of cloning software called R-Drive Image that is capable of copying a hard drive and other things, it is found at R-Tools Technology.)
Use the cloning software to image drive D: onto drive E: (or the blank drive if you deleted the partition)
Unplug drive 'D:' and reboot to chec the cloning worked. If it worked reconnect drive 'D:' which will now be called E: or F: and format it so you can use it to store data.
Your Windows XP from D: has now been transferred to E: intact.

Please note your drive letters will change throughout this process and you need to be really sure which drive is which at all times. Checking their sizes and volume labels
as you go along will help.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users