Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium 64 + Linksys WMP54G v.4.1

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alleymad

alleymad

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hello all. I recently purchased a Gateway LX6200-01 computer with Vista Home Premium 64. I was hoping to be able to put it in the living room which would require a wireless card. SO, I removed the Linksys WMP54G v.4.1 card from my old desktop in the hopes I could get it to work in the new one. In a nutshell, I believe in my particular case it is impossible to get this card to work. I will describe the steps I have taken up to this point in the hopes that someone is able to tell me what I am doing wrong or if I should simply buy a different card.

First, I realized that the 32 bit drivers included on the installation CD would probably not work. Plus, when I originally installed the card in my XP machine, the CD would not install the drivers correctly, so I really didn't want to waste any time messing with it. I hopped on my laptop (which connects wirelessly to the same router I am trying to connect the desktop to - a Linksys WRT54Gv.6) and began exploring around for drivers for the wireless card. I found a post on the Linksys forums that seemed to indicate issues obtaining drivers for this card, specifically for 64 bit systems. And, the forum post contained a list of suitable (supposedly) drivers that could be downloaded. It seemed easy enough. All I had to do was find a driver for Vista 64, which was listed. So, I went and grabbed the file and extracted it to a CD-R. I took the CD over to the new computer, put it in and found that there was no autorun file on it, but there were two folders with the drivers - one for 32 bit and the other for 64 bit. At this point, I powered down the comp, cracked it open, and plugged in the card. Upon restart. Vista found the new hardware. I chose to install the driver from a known location and pointed the computer to the appropriate folder on the CD. I received a warning about the drivers not being digitally signed (which I ignored). After the files were installed, my Linksys wireless card showed up in the device manager and appeared to be functioning. "This device is functioning properly" is, I believe, the exact language the device manager uses. So, I went to the network center (Sharing center - whatever it is called the place where you can configure the networks). My wireless connection appeared in the list. I then attempted to have the computer connect to my wireless network (my router seems to be set properly - SSID is enabled, and all the other relevant features are set properly, I believe - I can easily connect to it with my laptop running vista 32 in any event). Unfortunately, my computer did not find any wireless networks within range. Now, I found this to be a little odd, considering that this same card in an old computer detected, at a minimum, 10 wireless networks from the same exact location in my apartment. No matter how many times I refreshed the list, wireless networks just did not appear. At this point, I decided to reboot the computer.

Upon restart, I went to the network manager area in vista, and to my chagrin found that my wireless connection was no longer present. But, I knew that the stupid card was still there, and I also knew that the driver was there - after all, I had just put them in! Anyhow, I went to device manager again and found that my card could not be started (error code 10). Hmmmm.... I started poking around to discover what this oh so informative error code 10 was, and ultimately concluded that it was (apparently) related to the driver being unsigned (this may or may not be the case - I have no idea to be honest, but there are more than a few threads out there addressing this issue, and most of them seem to land on the digital driver signing issue as something that at least needs to be addressed). In any event, I decided to research some more and found a couple of different methods of getting this particular card to work in my computer. I downloaded driver directly from a Ralink website (apparently, they make the chips??) and uninstalled and deleted the previously installed Linksys drivers and installed the Ralink drivers. They ended up being the same driver, I think, just obtained from two different locations on the net. IN any event, the Ralink driver was not digitally signed either. It installed, once again with the warning about the digital signature yada yada, and my device once again showed up in the device manager as functioning. And, the wireless connection once again showed up in the network center in vista. And, once again, it could not detect any networks. By this point, I decided I had wasted enough time on the stupid thing. I moved the computer to the den where the router is, plugged it in, and updated Vista. On the last set of updates, I noticed a Linksys driver listed. Hmmmm..... So, prior to installing the new driver from Windows update, I went back and made sure that everything from the previous driver installations was uninstalled and deleted. After that, I restarted the computer again, got the found new hardware thingy, ignored it, and ran windows update. The driver was listed, so I downloaded and installed it. It, unlike the other ones, is digitally signed. It installed without warning me of the impending doom associated with unsigned drivers. And, it told me that it installed successfully.

Of course, Vista apparently does not always tell the truth, as I had no wireless connection visible in the network center. But I was just told I had installed it correctly? WTF. Back to the device manager, where I get the message "The device failed to start. Error code 10." Restarted the computer and the same situation persists.

My question is, is it possible that I have done or not done something that is causing my issues? I cannot for the life of me figure out what my problem is. I have spent at least 20 hours reading up on this issue and trying various means of getting this thing to work properly. Even when it appears to be working, it really isn't, since it cannot find any networks. Even though my router is literally 10 inches away from the antenna on the wireless card. Does anyone out there have any suggestions at all? I will take anything you have, even if it is "go to the store and buy wireless car X, I guarantee you that it will work." But, I cannot even find that simple alternative at this point. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users