Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with quad boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hi,

I cannot get back to my XP install and could really use some help!

OK, my setup before installing win7 beta:

disk1---(2 partitions) 1st had XP installation 2, the second had data.
I formatted the 1st partition(former xp 2) to make way for beta win7

disk 2--(3 partitions) 1st had vista home, 2nd had vista ultimate, and 3rd was xp(the one im trying to save.
I formatted the 1st partition(vista home) and made it a data partition.

I had a funny multi-boot at this point(for a long time) that worked.
The vista bootloader offered either of the vistas, or xp.
When you choose xp, the xp loader would offer its dual menu to choose which xp to boot.

I know I'm crazy, don't rub it in!

So, everything still worked/booted after removing vista home and xp2(at this point I have XP1 and vista ultimate. Then I installed win7 beta to the 1st partition of disk one.... Successfully.

After this the win7/vista bootloader (seems like the same thing) gave me 3 choices:

win7
vista ult
older versions

When I choose older, it shoots an error mentioning ntldr (not the typical xo one).
Boots to vista or win 7 fine.

When I look at the xp partition from vista, the main system files were gone (boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect, etc).
I replaced them with ones from yet another installation, but no change. I tried editing the xp boot ini, changing the disk and partition to boot from.

I also have VistaBootPRO 3.3 installed. I tried to add an os, but that just made 2 xp non-working entries.

If there is someone that can follow this insanity and wants to help, I would be very happy. My XP install is my fav.

Frank

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 11 January 2009 - 08:16 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

Well, I'm able to get either xp /or vista and 7, but not all 3. I think the vista loader isnt seeing xp because it's looking for the old config.
I tried changing the boot ini (which is on the beta 7 drive now) but no luck. I was able to get to my main xp by installing another xp on one of the partitions.

It looks like no one is interested anyway, so happy trails ya'll. :huh:

Frank O' The Mountain

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

Have you tried the Startup Repair option with the Win7 bootable DVD?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

It's ok, I started over from scratch. It was getting way to complex!
Gonna keep it simple from now on and make experimental machines on the side.

Moral: Keep your main computer simple as possible.

I did try the fix startup, but I was too far gone by then.
Thanks

Frank O' The Mountain

#5 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

I am perhaps even crazier than you. I had XP Pro on partition 1 of HD 1, and my data on partition 2 of HD 1. Then I bought a 1 TB drive (HD 2). Connecting it together with HD 1 to the motherboard, then I installed Vista (later 7 Beta 64 bit) on partition 1 of HD 2 and Ubuntu 8.10 bit on partition 2 of HD 2. I also tried to install Kubuntu 8.10 64 bit on partition 3 of HD 2. The fourth partition on HD 2 is for my data. For some time, I can triple boot into XP Pro, Vista (or 7 Beta), and Ubuntu. Then one day I ran automatic update in XP Pro. It messed up the bootloader GRUB, and I could not boot into any of the OSs. It turned out that all the OSs were changing the MBR on HD 1, and Windows often messed with it. Fortunately, I had a backup hard drive of XP Pro, and I recovered without too much trouble.

Now I installed XP Pro and 7 beta on one hard drive, and separately I installed Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.10 onto another hard drive. Both hard drives can boot (separately) into either OS, and the two hard drives can be connected together to the motherboard and use the BIOS setup to choose which hard drive to boot.

After messing with the OSs for more than three weeks, I feel it extremely important to make a backup hard drive of the production hard drive and keep the Linux and Windows OSs isolated from each other. By the way, Ubuntu or Kubuntu can read the NTFS file system, by Windows OSs cannot access files in Ubuntu or Kubuntu partitions (ext2 file system).

Now I use 7 Tools Partition Manager to make raw hard drive copy of my production hard drive. After making sure that it worked, I set it aside, and used the other hard drive to play with the various OSs. I am not worried about messing up the system any more, because I know I have a backup copy.

#6 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

By the way, the advantage of using 7 Tools Partition Manager to make a raw copy of the hard drive is that when you mess up the original drive, you can use the backup hard drive immediately. You don't need to install the OS, the application programs, and activate all those programs that need to be activated again.

Edited by czhang, 30 January 2009 - 08:28 PM.

#7 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

For anyone wanting to dual boot or more! I'd highly recommend you look at this.

The software is called Easy BCD

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

I have used it myself to boot Vista and Mandriva. Hope it comes in useful for you. :huh:

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users