Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for help with crash

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bwhalk

bwhalk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

My computer keeps crashing at seemingly random times! There is really no pattern, it could be idling for 2 days or idling for 10 minutes or watching a movie browsing the internet or whatever. :flowers:

By crash I mean it completely turns off, there's no fans running or anything. To start again I need to flip the switch on the back for awhile.

It doesn't crash during intensive use (60% was all I could do) any more than non-intensive use. From that I thought it's probably not overheating or running out of power. Good assumption?? :trumpet:

More details!
- No device conflicts
- No errors into the Event Log
- No errors or anything shown, no "shutting down screen" (had to put that just in case!)
- Windows XP SP3
- AMD Quad Core, 2.5GHz, 2GB RAM

I tried switching the RAM and removing the case, still happens.

I don't know much with hardware so I wouldn't know what to check given this problem. :thumbsup: Any idea for me? :inlove:

Edited by bwhalk, 11 January 2009 - 07:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

It's either overheating (maybe a fan has 'died') or the PSU (Power Supply Unit, a rectangular-shaped box inside the PC case into which you plug the power cable from the mains) is not putting out enough watts and you need to get one fitted with a higher wattage output. I suggest you drop it in at a PC repair shop and let them take a look at it.

Another possibility is that the hard disk is starting to fail. The only cure for this is to fit a new disk and re-install Windows on it. You can test the disk by downloading a diagnostic utility from the disk manufacturer's website. Found out what brand it is then go to that manufacturer's website. You can usually get the brand of disk by looking in the relevant section of Device Manager.

Edited by pip22, 11 January 2009 - 09:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users