Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista ultimate 64 bit cannot boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_ZandMan

Mr_ZandMan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

I have tried a danish site to try and get help. Now im here in hope for a little help to save my Vista installation.

It all began when my computer was in standby. Then an outside power loss took away power to my computer while in standby.

while booting i got a blue screen of death telling me that it was dumping the memory to the HD.

When i came back it had booted up on my other old partition with windows xp. I guess its because it went to the next bootable device after trying booting vista.

I restarted and vista was telling me that it was resuming windows. It took an awfull lot of time and eventually i powered it off and rebooted it.

Then it nearly gets into vista but just when i see my mouse pointer i get a black screen with an error message something very close to this:

Logon UI.exe Bad image

c:\windows\winSxS\amd64_microsoft_windows_gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.6001.18065_none_56cd8757b545091c\gdiplus.dll

From my xp installation i have searched for gdiplus.dll on my vista partition and found numeral instances of the file. The one that troubles me is exactly in this location:
H:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.6001.18065_none_56cd8757b545091c

which would normally be c:\etc. when booting from my vista partition.

Things i have tried.

First i got help using the repair facillity in windows vista to make an automated startup repair.

That did not do the trick. It says that my vista boots up normally.

Then i have tried all the other options by pressing F8 on start. Nothing will get me pass the error mesage.

Back to the repair program...i cannot make a system restore because it tells me i have no restore points on my computer. I cannot repair it from an image because i have not made such an image before the crash.

I would really like to try to use the command promt to use the SFC /scannow command but it says something about ressources that are locked by windows... if you need the correct statement i can easily write it down.

I think this is because the command promt in the repair mode is not run as an administrator or something.

The last thing i did was moving the gdiplus.dll giving the error. This does not solve the error however i do not any longer see the error message but i still have my mouse pointer that i cannot move and a black screen. As if it freezes just one second before i would begin to see my desktop.

If there is any chance this is caused by virus this could be the fact as i was surfing some apparently unsafe websites only 10 minutes before i suspended the computer. However i have the kaspersky security suite running at all times and it didnt state i got a virus. I just think it was some kind of malware that would like me to install some program to scan my computer which i just turned down.

Now this is where i stand right now. I need to somehow get the sfc /scannow command to run if it would in any way solve this problem. Or maybe i could replace the broken and now moved file with one that works.

Any good help would be much appreciated. Forgive me if i spell some things wrong. It would be due to the fact that english is my second language.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:22 AM

Have you recently installed SP1 on that machine? Reinstalling Vista might be your only option if the problem prevents you from getting to Windows and the DVD recovery options are not much of a help. GDI+ is part of the GUI, if it will not load Windows is unusable. Microsoft has updated GDI+ in past, causing problems with third-party applications but rarely with the OS itself. Some apps that alter the login screen in Vista can cause this error. Are you able to get to the command prompt using the Vista DVD?

Resource (Besides the very helpful and concise link pip22 provided)
VirtualDR - Vista SP1 Problem

3939.png

#4 Mr_ZandMan

Mr_ZandMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:58 AM

pip22> Thanks for the link. This told me that i indeed have a problem with windows resource protection and a related file When i try to run sfc /scannow or try sfc.exe /scannow it comes up with this error.

"Windows Resource protection could not start the repair service"

Now what does that mean. My system is broken down and because of that it protects itself from getting fixed???

DJBPace07> No i have not recently installed SP1 it has been running smooth up till this break down with no problems whatsoever.

I have not altered the login screen in any way.

Yes i have access to the command promt in the repair menu using the vista dvd. Is there any way i can use this to maybe do a different kind of fix given that the sfc /scannow command of some strange reason wont run.

I appreciate your help very much. i have been searching and searching without someone having the exact same error.

Could it be the fact that it is still trying to boot on some data that it saved to the HD after my power loss. When i booted it the first time it did say "resuming windows" i guess it would be trying to resume wi ndows with the data that it dumped from my memory in the BSOD But these data would easyli be currupt due to the power loss. Would it be possible to delete such data from my hd making it boot correctly

#5 Mr_ZandMan

Mr_ZandMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

http://www.mac-net.com/1583485.page

Information in this link tells about services that i could try and run. Would that be the solution to the

Windows resource protecton failure when running sfc/ scannow. And is it at all possible to run such services in the repair menu.

#6 Mr_ZandMan

Mr_ZandMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

DJBPace07

Only now i saw the link to virtualDR..That was what got me started using the repair console at all. Didnt know it existed. But the repair console havent proved to be such a great help after all. Still cant figure out why i havent got any system restore point on my vista. Im positive i always has the system restore turned on.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

Vista should, by default, create system restore files on a daily basis. Is Vista installed on a separate hard drive by itself? It is also possible that the drive holding Vista has become corrupted and the drive XP is on is operating normally. If there are a number of corrupted files, replacing them one after another will be time consuming.

AVForums - Vista Ultimate Boot Up Errors
Windows Vista Tips - Vista Won't Boot Up

3939.png

#8 Mr_ZandMan

Mr_ZandMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:32 AM

Vista is on one physical disk and xp on another one. To boot xp i have to change boot priority in the bios. So yes vista is on a seperate harddisk all by itself.

It seems i have now solved the problem with gdiplus.dll i found an old backup while searching on my vista partition through xp. I proved to be the exact same file and placement just as an old backup dating last year. I renamed it and moved it to the correct spot and i can now boot up vista to the point where i get some graphics saying welcome Vista ultimate edition.

But then 3 seconds later it now tells me that my /??/c:\windows\explorer.exe is a 16 bit version and is not compatible with my 64 bit operating system.

Im currently working on getting hold of a 64 bit version of explorer.exe through a friend of mine running the same windows setup.

Looking through your links. But it seems that reinstalling would be the best thing.

Im close to giving up..

But thanks for your help anyway.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

16-bit software will not work with Vista 64-bit. Reinstallation might be your only option especially if multiple files, or even the registry, is corrupt.

3939.png

#10 Mr_ZandMan

Mr_ZandMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

I think the errors is due to partly virus or the fact that i did not let windows vista resume itself properly after the first boot. Whatever the reason with help from a frind of mine which is a computer tecnician i found that the broken files which kept comming up with new files whenever i manualy replaced one of them was located in my recycle bin. I have not deleted those files myself and has no knowledge of why they would turn up in the recycle bin.

I reinstalled vista. Some advice.

Keep system restore running at all times and make sure if you have vista ultimate to make a backup image of you system disk. That would save you for a lot of trouble. In the future i will be backing up my system to a usb harddisk which will only be connected for this purpose once or twice a month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users