Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Removed - Does my system need repair now?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wooderson23

wooderson23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

Hi,

I have had some assistance on another forum for an infection of my system but am told that no more malware can be detected. My system still does not allow me to connect to the internet and is incredibly sluggish to the point where many programs just won't respond. To catch you up I have run Malwarebytes, SDFix, HijackThis and RSIT. I would be happy to run whatever would be helpful and post logs. I have received no advice on how to proceed if the virus has been removed and my system doesn't function properly. I was hoping that maybe there were some tools that could detect missing critical files or notify of broken connections that were in need of repair. Just looking for some direction at this stage as I don't know what to do. Let me know where you'd like to start and I'll be happy to work with you. I have a functioning laptop that I can load programs and burn discs from to get things onto the troubled one.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wooderson23

wooderson23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

Sorry to bump myself up the list but it's been about five days since my last post and I wanted to see whether you had any further advice for me. Thanks again and I very much appreciate the help you have given me thus far.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Soory for the delay I am movin you to XP as I don't see any malware now.
Note I deleted prior scan posts.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

There are at least a couple of tools which can be used to try to repair the system.

Since it seems that you are able to boot into XP, I suggest trying the chkdsk /r tool first.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between the k and /) and hit Enter. A screen will tell you that chkdsk cannot run, etc. and ask if you want it to run on the next boot. Type Y and hit Enter. Reboot the system and it will do what it can do to repair files, etc.

Upon completion, the system will reboot.

For the next part, understand that when I say MS XP CD, I do not mean any restore/recovery CDs which might have been provided by Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. Those are not MS XP CDs, they are special variations of same and do not necessarily include all of the tools or repair characteristics of a MS XP CD. If you don't have one, it's OK to borrow one or have someone burn you a copy of theirs...but you must have a valid license key in order to use such a CD to do a repair install.

In all cases, the CD must reflect the same version (XP Home or XP Pro) as you have installed on the system.

If you still have problems, the next thing I would suggest would be an attempt to run the sfc /scannow command (space between the c and the /). To run this, you will probably also need a MS XP CD that reflects the current SP level of your system. If the system is current through SP2, then the CD must have SP2 on it. If the system is current through SP3, the the CD must have SP3 on it.

If you have a CD but it does not reflect the same SP level as your system, you can slipstream a CD which will be an updated version of your original install CD. There are many websites which have instructions on how to do this, including http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-se...installation-cd

I tend to prefer this link because it uses nLite, which I think is the easiest tool to use when slipstreaming. If you use it, please read carefully and follow the suggestions made.

Finally, my ultimate repair trick is to do a repair install of XP. The same rules apply with a repair install as apply with running sfc /scannow...the CD must reflect the same SP level. More info on a repair install follows:

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you have questions, please ask before proceeding :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users