Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling XP asking for sp2 CD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nealr

nealr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

I was having problems with my HP Pavilion DV5000 laptop so I decided to reinstall windows. Whe I say problems , everything basically worked but it would freeze up or run very slow and at startup there is always a message that some file is missing.
The computer came with windows XP media center edition 2005. I have since installed SP2.
To begin the reinstall I used the operating system DVD that came with the computer. It got part of the way through and then was asking for the XP SP2 CD(which I don't have). I have since read that I should have uninstalled sp2 before I started. Too late now I guess.
I tried downloading SP2 on another computer and making a CD but that cd didn't work. I tried making a slipstream dvd with my original disk and sp2 and that didn't work.
I tried hitting cancel each time it asks for the sp2 cd and then it asks if I want to continue installing windows without the file and I say yes. This gets me to the end of the setup but then it says that files are missing and can't complete.
Is there a way to restart the installation fresh? What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

The advice you were given that you should have installed SP2 first was ridiculously wrong. You can't install a service pack until you've installed Windows. The problem you are having is caused by the fact that the version of Windows you currently have installed is newer than the version on the DVD.

The solution may be to delete the existing Windows partition and then install Windows afresh. The newer version will have gone so you shouldn't get asked for a CD you don't have.
If your Windows DVD is a 'proper' microsoft installation disc (ie not an HP recovery disc) you can delete the partition with that DVD when setup starts. Setup will detect and display the current Windows installation. Highlight it and select "delete partition". Then install fresh copy of windows on the "unallocated space" (this is where the old Windows installation used to be). After Windows is re-installed you can then (optionally) install the latest service pack for XP-MCE 2005.

Edited by pip22, 11 January 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

Are you sure you are booting to the cd?

You are not just putting the cd in the drive while Windows is loaded are you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users