Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router not connecting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CamCam

CamCam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Basically I can't connect to the internet when my modem is connected to the router. I have one ethernet going from the modem to the router and another from the router to my computer. The modem works perfectly fine without the router. All the lights come on green (as they should) except the internet light, which turns orange. Orange is supposed to mean it's at 10 kbps (I think it's kpbs) versus 100.

Router is a Netgear Super G Wireless WGT624

Not sure if this this helps but... I saw that all my computer cords were tangled and I unplugged and then replugged everything. I'm sure I put everything back in the right spots. My router, modem and computer were off. My computer is an XP SP3.

Help?

Edited by CamCam, 11 January 2009 - 04:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

One method to check where connections are lost is to use the PING utility.
Assuming you are using Windows:
0 - bring up a command line by clicking start then run and hit the enter key.
1 - see if your PC network card (the plug in the back of the PC where the ethernet cable connects, aka NIC or LAN port) is functional by testing the "loopback". To do this, type ping 127.0.0.1 at the command line, hit enter. If your network card is functioning, you wont see any timeout messages.
2 - if your NIC is ok, next see if you can ping the address of your router. If you haven't configured your router or haven't changed it's settings, refer for the documentation that came with it - its probably something like 192.168.1.1, in which case you you would type ping 192.168.1.1 then hit enter.
If you can connect to your router, then I would first make sure the config is correctly dialing the ISP with the right account name/password and is always on, and if that's ok I would look further into a few more things:
a. might you need a crossover cable to connect your router to your modem? This point has been debated in another thread in this forum I recall, but I would confirm this with your documentation
b. are you sure you've attached the cords to the right ports between your router and the modem? confirm with the router documentation

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users