Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager Launches to System Tray

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SoSoSewer2000

SoSoSewer2000

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

System: Vista Home Premium 6.0 SP1 on Toshiba Laptop Satellite

My non-critical, but very aggravating problem is:
Task Manager opens minimzed to the System Tray.

What I have tried:
My viruses scanner is uptodate and there are no viruses or trojan horses
Have run computer in safe mode to make sure minimize on use is not checked
I am running Tskmgr as Administrator
Pressing Ctrl-Atl-Del or Ctrl-Alt-Esc and choosing Task Manager doesn't help, it just opens another incident on the Systray

I can't right click on Task Manager on the systray and maximize it, so I can't (as Microsoft suggest) see if Minimize on use is checked. I don't ever choose anything to Minimize on Use so my best bet would be that it is not checked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Task Manager is resizable. Try to click and drag the border to see if it will resize

Edited by garmanma, 11 January 2009 - 06:03 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SoSoSewer2000

SoSoSewer2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

There is nothing to grab, it's minimized on the system tray.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi SoSoSewer2000,

If you right-click on your Startup folder in your Start menu, and click on Open, is there a Shortcut in there that points to C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe ? If so, try right-clicking on it and see if you can get to properties.

Alternatively, try going to C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe and right-click on it to open the Properties window.

I would like for you to see if there's a Shortcut tab. If so, can you see what the setting is next to Run? It should be Normal Window.

Zllio

#5 SoSoSewer2000

SoSoSewer2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

Zllio:

There is nothing in my Startup folder and there is not a shortcut tab when I right click on C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe.

I created a shortcut on my desktop and added it to Quick Launch and both of them have it running in Normal Window. I tried changing to run maximized and it still launches it minimized.

I pinned it to my Startmenu, but the properties have no shortcut tab.

Sososewer2000

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:41 AM

Hi SoSoSewer2000,

It's possible malware is causing that, even though your antivirus isn't picking it up. I would recommend asking the people in the Am I Infected forum if they think this could be caused by malware and if so, how you should proceed.

Zllio

#7 SoSoSewer2000

SoSoSewer2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for your help, I'll ask the guys in the Am I Infected forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users