Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Free Defragmenter, File Cleaner, Tune up etc, etc.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hi people,
My PC is an AMD Athlon 2400+ with 1GB of RAM using XP Home Edition updated to SP3. I am very PC security conscious and like to keep my machine up to date and in good order. Security wise I have Comodo CIS and BoClean with SpywareBlaster as real time protection and use SAS, MBAM, A2 as on demand scanners for malware detection. I also have Avira Antivir installed but disabled in real time and to be used only as a back up AV until I am 100% about the Comodo one istalled as part of CIS. I also use AutoRuns to keep check of my Start up programs and Secunia PSI to keep my PC programs up to date.

Until now I have regularly used the Windows Defrag utility in System Tools when it tells me my machine needs it. I also use the System Tools Disc Cleanup Utility on at least a monthly basis to empty my Temp Internet files etc and usually empty the cache in my default web browser Firefox at the same time. I have IE7 installed but only for MS Updates.

Recently I came across a link to what I perceive to be a decent PC technical site called http://www.techsupportalert.com/ where I came across some interesting stuff. My questions are about the Defragmentation and file clean up tools recommended by them. For example will the tools mentioned there as best give me a better more thorough defrag / file clean than the onboard Windows ones and are there any other programs you would recommend?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:41 AM

I wouldn't use any of these "free" defraggers...in my limited experience with some of these utilities, I've found them no better than the default defragger, and some actually worse. Remember, the default defragger is safe, and backed by Microsoft. The only step up from the default defragger would be something actually more powerful, faster, safe and with useful features like boot-time, simultaneous drive defrag etc. E.g.Diskeeper 2009 is a great utility and it's what I use for vista and xp. But it's not free, so that's the only "downside".

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the reply Speedbird76, it confirms more or less what I thought already. I will just keep on using the onboard supplied utilities.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

I wouldn't trust Comodo too much as a realtime antivirus. I have CIS installed and up and running, but have found 3 malware entries on my PC yesterday with Malwareytes.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

It would depend on what type of malware found surely. An AV will not stop tracking cookies for example that is why we use programs like SAS, MBAM, A2 etc. Personally I cannot praise Comodo high enough I have used their products for around 4-5yrs now and never had a single serious problem with them and in the next week when the improved version of CIS comes out it will be even better.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

Using the Windows utilities on a scheduled and regular basis will be more than sufficient under normal computer usage. You may configure Firefox to clear out temp files, etc., upon each exit. The clean up sequence should be something like this: remove unneeded files and and save to disk those you want to keep (this is a good time to backup important files anyway), use Disk Cleanup, run Checkdisk (scandisk), then defragment your hard drive (s).
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

In case you must have a defragger, here's my list of free defraggers .
Please post back if we found the solution

#8 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

By the way, any opinions on TuneUp Utilities ?

I have been using this software for a while as registry cleaner, defragger and overall system tweaks.

All i can say so far - it haven't damaged my computer, this is a good start i think =)

#9 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

In case you must have a defragger, here's my list of free defraggers .

Okay, but which one is the best? :thumbsup:

#10 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

I have been using Auslogic's defrag utility that I saw referenced here a while back, it is one of the defrag links provided by karbo1. Compared to the XP home defrag utility it is lightening fast and I have been running it for months without problem. Since my system resources are limited the speed of Auslogics makes a big difference on my machine. I do make mirror images of my internal drive using Acronis TI to an external HD on a regular basis and can restore the entire internal drive in a couple of hours so I do not have to sweat system problems near as much now. I have found the investment in an external HD and Acronis TI to be a very worthwhile. A 500 Gb external and Acronis TI was just a over a hundred bucks through NewEgg. If anyone knows of specific problems with Auslogics they have personally experienced I would appreciate them sharing their knowledge.
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users