Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewire DVD-RW Drive Driver Issues (Code 39)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 csinchicago

csinchicago

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Windows XP stopped recognizing my external CD/DVD drive when it is plugged in as a Firewire SBP2 Compliant IEEE 1394 device. In the device manager, there is a yellow exclamation point next to the device. When I click on Properties, it says the driver was not working properly (Code 39). I tried reinstalling the driver to no avail.

I also tried hooking up the drive via USB port and it works fine, so I don't think is not the device.

The Drive is an ASUS CD/DVD-RW drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

Did you remove/uninstall the firewire port drivers...and then install them anew?

Seems that your port is on the fritz, not the device.

Louis

#3 csinchicago

csinchicago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

Louis,
Thanks for the prompt response.
I think i did uninstall and reinstall. I Uninstalled the device in the device manager. I then scanned for new hardware and the device was found with the yellow exclamation point. Do I need to do something different to reinstall the driver anew?
Also - i'm using a laptop - how do i fix the port, if that's even possible?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

OK...to connect a firewire device, you need a firewire port on your system. This is where the firewire device would connect.

If you have a firewire port, then you need a firewire system driver for that port in order for it to work. Same as the video, the sound, the NIC, the USB...all these functions require driver installation.

The drivers for that firewire port should be on the drivers CD which came with the laptop.

What is laptop manufacturer and model data, please?

Sometimes drivers get damaged/corrupted and need to be replaced.

That's what I suggest...remove the old firewire drivers via Device Manager, install drivers anew from the CD for the firewire port.

Louis

#5 csinchicago

csinchicago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

I resolved this problem by disabling / uninstalling the 1394 connection in the internet connection ("My Connections") window. When I restarted the machine, the computer recognized the external drive again. Weird.

Thanks for your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for letting us know how you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 csinchicago

csinchicago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Louis - hopefully my fix will work for somebody else (although of course I hope nobody else has to have such a problem).

Quick slightly off-topic question. I'm having a separate problem with my dsl modem and connectivity. Is this forum (as opposed to the networking forum or some other forum) the right forum to post in?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

Well...I say ask away, it's your thread and if you have multiple problems that can be addressed...let's do it :thumbsup:.

The fact that you had a firewire port with an association in your My Connections window...probably had something to do with your DSL connectivity, but that's just an uneducated guess.

Tell us what you know about the DSL problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users