Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble sharing files and printers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fidlhead

fidlhead

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

Our home network worked fine until my son took the laptop to a summer class at a university, and set it up to access the university network. Now the laptop can neither share nor access files and printers on our home network. The two desktops can still share files and printers, as before.

All three computers are running Windows XP, service pack 3. The laptop and one of the desktops uses McAfee Security Center. The other desktop has Norton virus protection.

If I try connecting to a mapped folder, I get this:

"An error occurred while reconnecting to M: to \\whatever\
Microsoft Windows network : The network path was not found.
This connection has not been restored."

If I try to connect via "My Network Places" I get this:

"\\computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found."

I've tried restoring the Windows firewall on the laptop to the defaults, and I've tried running the network set-up wizard (several times).

I just received some excellent help on a malware problem from Bleeping Computer, so I thought I'd try this forum as well. I'd appreciate any assistance.

fidlhead

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

Just can you double check If that laptop is same work group as others.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 fidlhead

fidlhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

sreez,

Thanks for getting back to me. The work group on the laptop is the same as the others.

FH

#4 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

I have similar problem.....do you get this? On just one of my laptops I can see and take files FROM the PC to the laptop but I cannot SEND files from the PC to that same laptop.

All my folders on the Pc and all laptops are set to share and belong to the same work group. All the IP's have been allowed on the firewalls, it's just this one laptop that's gookie :thumbsup:
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

#5 fidlhead

fidlhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

The laptop belongs to my daughter. She just lent it to my son for his summer college class (where I'm convinced it got messed up). She has a vision problem, so I do a lot of re-formatting of music and text for visibility. Running back and forth with flash drives is a pain. Unfortunately, it won't network with the other computers at all.

FH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users