Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java(TM) 6 Update 11

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

Kaspersky internet security indicates that I have a security risk with Java. Should I remove the older versions. Java 6 update 6 and 7. I hope this is the proper place.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Remove the old versions. They serve no useful purpose after they are updated. I always uninstall old version before I update.
And reading your question reminds me that I have to update my java, so that's what I will do right now.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

Thank you for getting back so soon. I will get rid of them now.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Unlike other applications that will overwrite their older versions when they update, java does not leaving the older versions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

Java's web site is not a lot of help. I removed the old ones and ran kaspersky agin. Things are well again.

#6 sherwood87

sherwood87

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

I cannot download Java. I did a search on "java" and came up with about 50 applications. Afraid to just start deleting. tryed to delete the last one and a picture came up with "choose what program to use to open this file." couldn't open it or delete it. Sure need some help as I can't open my favorite Jigzone.

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

I cannot download Java. I did a search on "java" and came up with about 50 applications. Afraid to just start deleting. tryed to delete the last one and a picture came up with "choose what program to use to open this file." couldn't open it or delete it. Sure need some help as I can't open my favorite Jigzone.

sherwood87 - better to start your own thread about your problem than hijack this thread of Layback Bear. That said here's a link to verify your java Verify Your Java Version and if that does not resolve your issue start a new thread.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

FWIW: Current version is Java 6, Update12.

Download at http://www.java.com/en/download/installed....;os_version=5.1

I uninstalled the previous version then did the updated install...no problems.

Louis

#9 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

This begs the question, why does Java therefore leave it's old versions there after an update? If it's not needed then why don't they just perform an uninstall before the new install?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

FWIW: There are any number of programs that purport to be able to do what you describe...but the Windows registry is full of small bits of data which indicate that these things are not necessarily as simple as you might think.

The more complex the program, the more likely that a removal tool of some sort may be needed...in order to uninstall and then update. Examples are Symantec apps, Nero, and others which don't readily come to mind (because I don't use them).

I feel gratified that Java uninstalls via Add/Remove Programs properly.

Additional info: Those updates come about for Java often because someone has figured out a way to launch/utilize malware exploits/attacks on the older versions. Follows the pattern for updates that Windows does, IMO.

Louis

#11 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

...I feel gratified that Java uninstalls via Add/Remove Programs properly....
Louis

I agree and am also grateful that Java can be removed easily and properly with ADD/REMOVE Programs. Nice to not have to get yet another removal tool to clean up.
tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users