Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting XP wireless to work after changing from Vista

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vracer89

vracer89

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hi Everyone.

I have a problem that has stumped many other people. I have an HP 6324us Pavillion Laptop. Vista was running very slow so I loaded XP onto the computer. Ive found all of the other drivers except for a wireless driver that will work. AMD turion X2 TL50 1gb ram.

I have a Broadcom internal wireless card with a switch on the front of the laptop.

The wireless worked 100% before I switched so I know that its not the motherboard problem.

Ive gotten it to work once through a combination (that I dont remember) of installs within safemode. I have the right drivers and they are installed, but I cannot get the computer to recognize either the wireless card or get the HP wireless assistant to run. I think that windows is conflicting these drivers but I dont know how to get it to stop.

Do you guys have any ideas? Wireless zero configuration is off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

This might be of some value: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Louis

#3 vracer89

vracer89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

This might be of some value: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Louis

All the devices are code named. I dont know which one might be causing the problem or even if that is the problem.

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

I am assuming you have used this?

Edit:

Sorry just noticed you were going Vista TO Xp, I had it the other way around.

Here is what I meant to post...
"Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver"
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36684.exe

Wireless zero configuration is off.

You should turn it on. You can do this through the services control panel. (Type services.msc into a run box)

Edited by lowtek_otc, 11 January 2009 - 10:25 PM.

#5 vracer89

vracer89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

Edit:

Yeah I have all of the applicable drivers. That is the right one AFAIK. I also have the Hp wireless assistant one too.

#6 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

Edit:

Yeah I have all of the applicable drivers. That is the right one AFAIK. I also have the Hp wireless assistant one too.

So it is showing up properly in the device manager?
I have never found the HP wireless assistant necessary. The driver alone with the Zero Configuration should control your wireless access just fine.

#7 vracer89

vracer89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

Edit:

I have never found the HP wireless assistant necessary. The driver alone with the Zero Configuration should control your wireless access just fine.

It is not in DM. Never has been which is puzzling me.

#8 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

Edit:

It is not in DM. Never has been which is puzzling me.

Not even as an "unknown" device? There is nothing with a yellow or red mark on it's icon in the device manager?

If there is no sign of it in the device manager, there are a few things I would try:
See if there is controls for it in the bios.
Be sure the switch is turned on.
Usually there is a quick access panel to the wireless card on the bottom of a lot of laptops. Check the connections if you are comfortable doing that.
Use "unknown device identifier" to see if it can find it.

#9 vracer89

vracer89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

Unknown device identifier didnt come up with anything. I have 3 base system devices and one unknown device. It didnt find anything

#10 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

I have 3 base system devices and one unknown device.

So you do have multiple (4) items in the device manager that have not yet been installed.

The drivers have not been installed and I would assume that the "unknown device" is your wireless card and the "base system" devices are possibly peripheral connections (card reader, etc).

You need the correct driver. Can you please confirm that there are items in the device manager that are labeled "unknown device" and "base system device." This is important that I do not waste my time looking for drivers for you if they are not even showing up in the device manager.

#11 vracer89

vracer89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:57 PM

So you do have multiple (4) items in the device manager that have not yet been installed.

The drivers have not been installed and I would assume that the "unknown device" is your wireless card and the "base system" devices are possibly peripheral connections (card reader, etc).

You need the correct driver. Can you please confirm that there are items in the device manager that are labeled "unknown device" and "base system device." This is important that I do not waste my time looking for drivers for you if they are not even showing up in the device manager.

I have 3 Base system devices. The unknown device was the quick launch buttons for the dvd player. I told the comp that the unknown device was my exact wireless card and it took it. I then had it update the driver and it found a the driver for the quick launch buttons. I tried the same method on the base system devices to no avail.

I have 3 base system devices that need drivers.

#12 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

Okay got it.

So you used the "Have Disk" method to install the Broadcom driver from HP? If so proceed...

Try this:
http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/download.php?pag=w

Just have it search in the location with all the drivers.
This is usually a last resort for me as it is always important to make sure you install the exact driver for your hardware.

#13 vracer89

vracer89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

Okay got it.

So you used the "Have Disk" method to install the Broadcom driver from HP? If so proceed...

Try this:
http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/download.php?pag=w

Just have it search in the location with all the drivers.
This is usually a last resort for me as it is always important to make sure you install the exact driver for your hardware.

I cant get it to search through the entire folder. It keeps wanting me to pick a single driver

Edited by vracer89, 11 January 2009 - 11:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users