Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox favorites

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lancelot

lancelot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:59 AM

After I installed Firefox, when I went into my favorites into my links bar, I find that they're a bloody mess!? In I.E. the favorites were sorted by type (eg. folder, then link) however, this thing has sorted it by date added?! that sucks, is there a way to change that? If not, I'll be forced back to I.E. (yes, I love my favorites that much!)

If I have to go back to I.E. how do I properly import the new additions that I've made with Firefox? I've already tried it and it doesn't work (eg. I exported to a file with Firefox, and used that same file to import with I.E.).

My current system:

- Windows xp pro sp2
- I.E. v6.0x
- Firefox v1.0.4

Edited by lancelot, 22 May 2005 - 11:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

It is a relatively simple procedure to set up your bookmarks in different folders or in a different order by clicking and dragging them around.

Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks

You can add separators, folders and move them and rename them easily from this page.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 lancelot

lancelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

You're joking right!? :thumbsup:
Okay, here's the situation in more detail...I have say 200 bookmarks, which are in the LINKS menu/submenus, and I like to have them ordered by type, just like in windows, I go into my system directory, and it lists folders first, then stray files next...that's how I want my bookmarks ordered...folders first, then stray links next, firefox doesn't have this option (even in release 1.0.4!), but I.E. does...the funny thing is I.E. doesn't have it as an option, it just sorts them like that automatically, and the funny thing is, when you look at the I.E. "Favorites" menu, you'll find that it's a bloody disarrangment just like firefox...so it (I.E.) treats it's "Favorites" menu differently than it treats its browser "Links" submenu.

Does that make more sense?

Edited by lancelot, 22 May 2005 - 11:33 AM.

#4 lancelot

lancelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

Posted Image

Edited by lancelot, 22 May 2005 - 12:53 PM.

#5 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:58 PM

Hi Lancelot
Not quite clear how you did yours, but I imported my IE favourites into a folder called (not surprisingly!) imported IE favourites. This retained everything in the format I had in IE, and I later added to it and edited it as jgweed suggested.

I kept my old IE "links" folder and use it for the places I visit daily (bleeping computer etc). I don't keep anything up on the toolbar, because that's cluttered enough already, but all my links are in the sidebar, and it looks neat enough for me!

The manage bookmarks folder looks like this.
Posted Image

I guess it's a matter of taste as to how you arrange things, but I'm quite happy with it like this.
:thumbsup:

Luci2a

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

I did not have this problem when I imported my IE favourites but that may be because I don't mix folders and locations. In the 'Manage Bookmarks' interface there does not seem to be any way to distinquish between files and folders which, I agree is annoying.
I'm afraid all I can suggest is you drag and drop your folders in the sidebar (it works in the bookmarks menu) till they are all at the top. They stay where they are put.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 lancelot

lancelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:01 AM

blingo baby!!! I also fired off some posts at mozilla zine website, and got this answer:

THIS BOOKMARK CONVERSION TOOL rocks tha nutsack!!!!

IT BLEEPED MY LINK?!

Man, it solved all my problems and now I can sleep at night...this software is so intuitive, it knew where each browser stores its favorites, even though it asks you, it points towards what it thinks your looking for (which was right in both instances!)....man, I'm so damned happy....thank you mozilla zine :D

And thanx guys for givin' 'er ur best.

*See here :
anyways, go here...it's a link on this page.... http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...9565&highlight=

must have been posted

Edited by lancelot, 23 May 2005 - 12:43 AM.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:18 AM

Glad you fixed your problem and thanks for telling us about it! :thumbsup:

Didn't have much luck with that link though - could you check it and post it again?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:54 AM

Glad you fixed it Lancelot! :thumbsup:
Luci2a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users