Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unlocking folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aeh2019

aeh2019

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:22 AM

I recently got a new hard drive after I got a virus and before I new about bleeping computer, so I decided to just install windows on my new hard drive and use my old one as an external storage medium. The old one still had windows installed, but whenever I tried booting off of it my computer went into an endless loop of "press f5 to enter recovery mode" so I did and reinstalled window's system files. I restarted thinking it would work but it kept looping the same text. So I went into recovery mode again, but this time I chose the "make backup and reinstall windows option". Now I have a new windows installed and a folder that says "Backup 11-12-08" (or something like that) with everything that was there before I reinstalled windows. Now it still won't boot and the same loop keeps coming up, but this isn't even the problem.
I can't access any of my files :flowers: ! When I'm running windows from my new drive and I have my old one connected from a hard drive enclosure I can't navigate past my user folder (ex. D:\Backup11-12-08\Documents and Settings\Me\). I can only do so when I boot off of a linux live cd (backtrack) but I still can't delete or change the privilages. The only way I see how I could recover all my stuff is to copy it to another storage medium (which I can't afford)(not even dvds since I need to be booting off of a live cd to see any of the files) and format my old hard drive when I'm done. I want to be able to access my files without having to use backtrack every time so my question is:

Is there a way I can get access to my files while I'm in windows? I've tried using a file unlocker but it didn't recognize the folder as locked :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Did you try Unlocker ?
Please post back if we found the solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users