Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Grease?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aeh2019

aeh2019

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:30 AM

A few days ago I took apart my laptop to see if my processor was removable. My dad was watching over me and after I removed the heatsink (I think that's what it's called. It's the part connected to the fan and directly above the processor) a small greasy sticker-like thing ripped, half was left on the processor and the other half the bottom of the heatsink. He said that it was processor grease needed to keep my pc from overheating and that I should replace it.

Is this true, or was it something else like a "void warranty if broken seal"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

He's correct, that was the thermal paste (grease).
It's a heat conducting paste.
It helps with the heat transfer from the processor, to the heatsink.

No matter how smooth the processor, and the heatsink look, there are imperfections on the surface.
The paste fills these imperfections, creating more surface area to conduct heat away from the processor.
The more heat removed, the cooler the processor runs, and the longer it lasts.

The paste should be applied as thinly as possible, as too much paste, will have the opposite effect.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users