Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security update stuck in installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bonniebeau

bonniebeau

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

:trumpet: A security update to the MSXML 4.0 SP2 failed to install completely and is now "stuck" in the installation mode. :flowers: I tried to uninstall the entire software but I keep getting a message that an installation has not completed. Microsoft has a problem with this update and a Techie had me download to my Desktop the extraction tool msicuu2.exe . Install it from my Desktop onto the computer and remove the software. Click Start, All Programs, Windows Installer CleanUp, locate any MSXML software and remove it. My problem is, I cannot install this removal tool as I get a window stating "there is an installation in progress and new installation cannot be performed until the current installation is finished"- or words to that affect. A Techie has tried to take over my Desktop and try to complete the installation to the security update and then I could uninstall it and the entire MXL!!!! Anyone have any ideas how to get the security update to finish the installation so I can uninstall the entire SP? I'm a novice, so be gentle! :thumbsup:

Edited by boopme, 10 January 2009 - 09:02 PM.
cleaned tags for readability ~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

Any error messages of any sort?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

# Different versions of MSXML are included with various Microsoft products, such as Windows, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, and Microsoft SQL Server, as well as some third-party products. You may be offered this update again if you install a new product or if you update a product that includes a different version of MSXML than the one that you already have. For more information about the different MSXML versions that are available or included with various Microsoft products or software updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
269238 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269238/ ) List of Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) versions
# Security update 927978 for MSXML 4.0, for MSXML 4.0 SP1, and for MSXML 4.0 SP2 does not support the complete removal of MSXML 4.0 because this version of MSXML is installed in side-by-side mode. To work around this issue, follow these steps:

1. Remove security update 927978 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel.
2. Delete the MSXML4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
3. Repair the previous installation of MSXML 4.0 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel.

The earlier versions of the Msxml4.dll and Msxml4r.dll files are restored to both the side-by-side folder and the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users