Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleting a folder that says 'access denied'

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nca2003

nca2003

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

I have a secondary hard drive that holds a lot of my files, media, backup docs, etc but no program installations. Under a previous installation of WinXP Pro, I installed visual studio express which for some reason put temporary files/folders on my secondary drive. I recently reformatted my primary drive and reinstalled WinXP Pro but didnt delete these files from the secondary drive first. Now it says 'Access Denied' when I try to delete them. I have tried as much as booting in safe mode, killing explorer.exe and trying rmdir from the command line, but nothing works. What else could I try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

Try a program called "Unlocker" and see if that deletes the file.

However, please, PLEASE be sure that those files aren't being used by Windows, otherwise... well, let's just say bad things'll happen :thumbsup:

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q308421

#4 nca2003

nca2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Thanks. I tried that support page link and it worked. Problem solved.

#5 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

Well done! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users