Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

security patches/application upgrades

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

These may be considered dumb questions - but sometimes I'm a dumb user - so, oh well.

I've been really diligent about keeping up with the latest Windows and application security patches (thanks Secunia!), and run Norton Internet Security (at least until subscription runs out), and run Spybot and update it weekly. I feel like I'm mostly doing the right things for protection.

My first question is: what about backup drives? I'm running Vista Home Premium, with Office 2007. I ran XP on a previous machine, and have Office 2002/3 stuff, Adobe stuff, and other files from my old XP machine, etc., on a Seagate external drive, as well as some older application versions on the D:\ backup drive from when I set up my new Vista machine. Should I be updating applications on those too, or is doing it on my c:\drive sufficient? If I update versions of apps on the Seagate or d:\ drive, do I run the risk of not being able to get back to my old XP data someday?

My second question is: I update the Java JRE stuff when it says a new update is available, but my recend Secunia scan says that I have five older versions that are vulnerable (some on the Seagate drive). I'd assumed that updating Java on my c:\ drive would update the necessary existing file(s) and I have the most recent version installed but there are also "old" ones there. Should I manually delete the oldies on both drives, or are they "inactive" (for lack of a better word). I probably goes without saying that I'm not sure what Java JRE really is. I just try to update it when it's identified as vulnerable.

Thanks so much for your assistance in helping me out with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

If your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 11".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

Thanks, boopme. I've deleted all but the version 6/11 of Java that I'd already upgraded to. Each time a new release comes out and I get a prompt and asked "do you want to upgrade now" I always do it, but apparently it leaves all the older versions out there too. Doesn't seem like a good design, but what do I know... Now, what about on the external drive that holds the Seagate that has my XP stuff backed up on it. Should I do it too, and if so, how do I get to it with the Add/Remove Programs option?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

I would why risk an exploit or incompaibility.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users