Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HKT

HKT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

While using ComboFix to clean up some infections, the tool seems to work fine until it reaches Stage 50. Then everything stalls with this last line:

' "C:\WINDOWS\system32\"' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

A log file therefore was never created.

After waiting for quite a while, I had to use task manager to stop the application. Then I restarted the computer and tried re-running ComboFix again thinking maybe I caused it to stall. But the same problem occurred. All in all, I have tried 3 times and each time, I get the same error. Good news is, after fixing my internet connection each time, I was able to browse without the previous problem of having my browser hijacked to ad sites.

Question is: what caused ComboFix to stop in its tracks and what ramifications are there? What is the next step?

Thanks,
HKT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

You may have missed the prominently written advice in the header above: QUOTE: When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix logs. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.

To receive help, you should instead provide a detailed description of your problem, detailed word-for-word error messages that you are receiving, screenshots of strange behaviour, and your operating system. This information is much more useful to our helpers than a ComboFix log. END QUOTE

You may want to try using one of the programs in the links below. Super Antispyware and MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1040160
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=944365

Many have a problem accessing security sites when infected. If you have that problem you will need to use another computer to download the programs to a CD or other medium to download to the infected computer.

Many have a problem installing the programs after downloading. If you have that problem you will need to find the .exe for each program and rename them. Right click on each .exe and choose rename. Rename with names like sasex.com and madam.com. Then click on the .exes to install.

You may need to download manual updates to CD or other medium for each program, too. VERY IMPORTANT TO UPDATE!!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users