Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.exe Bad Image Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 loneprarie

loneprarie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

I am calling on the Geek Gods of this world to help a lowly mortal such as myself with his dire computer problem. I will say it now, I am not worthy :thumbsup:
I have tried several things on my own but with no success. I even chatted with Norton but they want to charge me $99.00. So I searched forums like this one with high hopes of being able to rectify this problem.
Now for the problem; when windows is loading I get a lot of errors that go something like this; there is a dialog box that will have (filename).exe Bad Image, this is located in the top left hand corner and in the body of the dialog box this message appears "C:\windows\system32\pxoopq.dll is not a valid windows image check against installation diskete". The body of the dialog box is always the same but at the top left hand corner of the dialog box it will be whatever application or program that is trying to start plus "Bad image". I have already tried a different restore point but low and behold it only went back a couple of days when it was suppose to go back 3 months. I dont know how that happened. Alright I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 on a Dell xps 410, Norton Internet Security and Spybot Search and Destroy. I have a DSL connection.
I have ran CCleaner for the temp files (and wow that cleaned a lot of space, highly recommend this). I have also ran Malwarebytes Anti Malware lastest version, which found more evidence of trojans and tracking cookies that Norton missed. But it still did not fix the Bad Image error. I have not tried a repair from my windows xp pro operating system cd yet (which is SP2 and I am running SP3). which I dont know if my bios is set to boot from the cd and I also read that doing repairs can sometimes destroy data. And on top of that when I first got my computer I was the adminstrator but just had to play around with it and set up a different account that I was hoping did not have any personal info on it so if I did get highjacked they would not get anything. But in the process I know longer have the admin password but the account that I log on under I have admin priviledges. Which I only have to choose which one to log on as is when I boot up in safe mode.
I have downloaded HiJack this but did not know if I was suppose to post it here or not.
Oh lord I have to stop here before I write a whole book. :flowers: All jokes aside you guys are great for doing this truly great service and I for one really appreciate your thorough knowledge and willingness to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

Update MalwareBytes AntiMalware. Run a scan with it and post the log back here. The directions for using MBAM are in the link below. Post both the original log and the latest.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=944365

If you have Spybot S&D's teatimer enabled, disable it before running the scan and rebooting. You can reenable it after MBAM has completed the scan and removal of malware and after a reboot.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users