Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux versions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 St_Anger

St_Anger

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:16 AM

Hi, i was just wondering what the difference is between all these different types/versions of Linux. Also, what are the names? I know of Mandrake and Redhat, but thats it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

Hello there, as you you may know linux is an open source project, which means that the source code is freely available to the public. This means that anyone with enough programming knowledge can freely change/edit/modify the actual source code of the Operating System without fear of retribution from the original developers. Unlike say err.... Microsoft's operating systems in which case it is ILLEGAL to reverse engineer and modify core system modules, in other-words what's yours essential remains theirs as far as intellectual property rights go. So imagine thousands/millions of different programmers get hold of the Linux source code, all of these people have different needs of an operating system eg. some just need a web server, some just need a cheap network server and some just want a thin operating system that just has enough features to do one certain job etc. With so many brilliant minds (and some questionable ones) working towards the same goal, to make the operating system do exactly what they want and nothing more there are bound to be many variants. But it would be too hard for one person to produce a single operating system that only meets a certain persons needs then produce another for a different clientele, common interests produce common bonds so programmers band together to produce differing versions to meet differing needs.......horses for courses. Given twenty one years or so the options have become astoundingly numerous especially with the rise of the LIVE versions. Linux has even made an appearance on playstations and mobile phones. Personally i would love to see it ported to an xbox hehe. And all of this was done to make a computer to operate how YOU want not how someone else wants eg. a Billy Box ( a windows machine). Now go out there and make your choice.....but beware odds are you will still need a billy box for compataBILLity. Hehe....cheers

By the way there are too many version of linux to list and some have become commercial now. Do a GOOGLE on linux and you will get the idea, as for the differences well.....same goes. Support the penguin!!

This post so long because i thought it might help others who want to know or are interested in linux.

Edited by lucent, 22 May 2005 - 10:14 AM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 St_Anger

St_Anger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the detailed answer. So you're saying, if i could program (hopefully some day i will be able to), i would be able to get the source codes for a version of Linux, compile it, and then add my own kind of customisation to it?

#4 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

Sort of.... start by using a version and then customise the kernal to suit your needs and get a feel for the way it works. Odds are that what you need has already been thought of and implemented by someone else, you may not even need to code a single line yourself just search for what you want, there are literally thousands of modifications and apps that are out there and they are all (mostly) royalty free and the source code is supplied with it free for you to modify to suit your needs. It's up to you and your imagination and your desire to learn and for lack of a better word....tinkle with things.
Posted Image

#5 mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Spyware Sucks

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

See http://www.distrowatch.com for more info on the different distributions
Spyware Aid - A guide and more to spyware

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead :)
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!

HijackThis! | Recommended Software | Help Wanted
| Search the Forums | Forum Guidelines
Faster, safer, better, free -> Posted Image Now 1.0 Final!

If you'd like to donate to the fight against spyware...
Donate to mpfeif101 |

#6 WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:45 AM

Linux has even made an appearance on playstations and mobile phones. Personally i would love to see it ported to an xbox hehe.

It's been done. http://www.xbox-linux.org/
Posted Image

#7 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

Thanks WhyBeNormal, that looks cool..I'm getting ready to put it on mine this weekend. Going to try the software option first before the chip. Cheers :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 11:44 PM

Thanks WhyBeNormal, that looks cool..I'm getting ready to put it on mine this weekend. Going to try the software option first before the chip. Cheers :thumbsup:

Sweet. :flowers:

I just realized that there isn't a penguin smilie. :trumpet:
Posted Image

#9 linuxtim

linuxtim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:02 PM

slackware for the desktop and server.
it's easy to install and has lots of desktop options.

#10 Michael Buckley

Michael Buckley

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:09 AM

Which version comes with the most software?

Edited by Michael Buckley, 02 August 2005 - 12:10 AM.

Toolbar Buttons the biggest button pack for Firefox or Thunderbird
Text Formatting Toolbar - make posting easy and fun.
Xrl.in - Tiny URls

#11 turrauko

turrauko

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:45 AM

Well, I personally use the Fedora Core (a RedHat-based and funded project), this distrobution (like RedHat) however is packaged more for technical uses so there aren't as many games and what not.

If it is games that you want, I'd have to go with SuSE. SuSE Linux, however does not (or rather didn't, I'm not even sure anymore) offer binary ISOs. Unless you want to compile the entire operating system or use a LiveCD... I'd go with the Fedora Core.

By the way, stay away from Debian unless you know what you're doing. As I remember, the installer isn't very friendly.

I'd tell you more if I knew your specs...

Edited by turrauko, 02 August 2005 - 01:20 AM.

#12 tictoc

tictoc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:37 AM

Which version comes with the most software?

Most of the more user-friendly distros have package managers that give you access to more software than you'll ever need.( Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandriva, Debian, Fedora Core...etc.etc.etc.)
It' s just a matter if you want to download a huge set of install CDs or a smaller download of less than 700MB and pull all your apps from the web via the package manager.
Also the thing to look at more is, which distro has the best hardware support for your needs.
And now for my recommendation...Ubuntu (debian based with a friendlier installer) :thumbsup:
There wasn't anything hardware related that it didn't auto detect and that's a first for me..I've had to "make" something work with pretty much every distro I've tried...and that's quite a few
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users