Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpyBot Search&Destroy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ddc0406

ddc0406

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

I currently have SpyBot Search & Destroy version 1.2 and there is a newer version 1.6.

When I open the program and click update its telling me that no newer versions are found. Do I need to uninstall the older version and totally reinstall the newer 1.6 version?

Edited to add:

I was going to update my Spybot, but after reading a post in another thread stating that SpyBot isnt as good as it use to be, maybe I should dump it (and AdAware) and add these 2 ..

SUPERAntiSpywareFree version and SpywareBlaster. They both do the same? Is it like having Spybot and AdAware

Edited by ddc0406, 10 January 2009 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

I personally agree with plan B. I also run Spyware Blaster with those ,it's unobtrusive and effective.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

I currently have SpyBot Search & Destroy version 1.2 and there is a newer version 1.6.

When I open the program and click update its telling me that no newer versions are found. Do I need to uninstall the older version and totally reinstall the newer 1.6 version?

Hi ddc0406,
Are you sure about that version? 1.2 is really really old--an antique. I was under the impression it was unable to get updated definitions for that version a while ago tho I could be wrong. I also was under the impression, if memory serves, that Spybot does not have a way to update the program between major versions, tho I could be wrong about that too. In other words, to switch from, say 1.3 to 1.4, you would have to download the setup files manually from the website and it's better to uninstall the old version before upgrading.

But yes, I, and several others have given up on the Spybot/Ad-Aware combination. Spybot never was easy to use and probably never will be. Plus it has added a protection module called TeaTimer that is OK in theory but most people don't understand how to use it and it can cause more problems than it's worth. If you have a good antivirus that runs in the background to protect you when you try to open files, then having an anti-spyware/malware that does the same thing is usually not needed, IMO.

That is the beauty of SuperAntiSpyware (SAS). Very simple to understand and use and very light on resources in the free version.

SUPERAntiSpywareFree version and SpywareBlaster. They both do the same? Is it like having Spybot and AdAware

No, SpywareBlaster isn't, it's a passive prevention technique rather than a program that scans and removes. It doesn't run in the background, but rather sets up your registry so that certain things can't be written to it.

To learn more about SpywareBlaster, see BC's tutorial How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware, Hijackers, and Malware.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 ddc0406

ddc0406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

When I open SpyBot, it says version 1.2 on the top.

I currently have McAfee as my AntiVirus protection, SpyBot and AdAware, and recently have added MBAM and ATF-Cleaner.

I will keep McAfee, MBAM and ATF and uninstall Spybot and AdAware.

The recommendations to add are SuperAntiSpyware (SAS), do I need anything else...

Thanks Papakid and boopme :thumbsup:

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

I will keep McAfee, MBAM and ATF and uninstall Spybot and AdAware.

The recommendations to add are SuperAntiSpyware (SAS), do I need anything else...

Thanks Papakid and boopme :trumpet:

You're quite welcome.

Yes, do try SpywareBlaster. I hope you don't think that, just because it doesn't work as a replacement for Spybot/Ad-Aware that it means it's not recommended. In fact SpawareBlaster is more important than those and SAS since prevention is more desirable than having to run a scan--and hope the scanner can find and remove an infection. For the most part, scanners are work best and are needed when an infection is already present and needs to be removed. With safe surfing habits and prevention techniques like SWB, in theory you wouldn't even need scanners. I still use them, but they nearly always only find tracking cookies. This is common for those that build up their defenses in the right way and are careful.

Or are you meaning to add SWB as well and just forgot to say so? :thumbsup: --if so I beg your pardon. :flowers:

That's about it for anti-spyware. As for general security, you haven't mentioned a firewall. Is McAfee antivirus only or is it a suite that includes a firewall? If not do you have Windows firewall turned on?

Which leads me to a question;are you running XP or later? Let me know because some of these programs no longer work on older operating systems.

Another critical prevention method is to keep your software up to date by visiting the Secunia Online Software Inspector.

Edited by Papakid, 12 January 2009 - 08:44 PM.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users