Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 huskeyfan8

huskeyfan8

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

I need help with my laptop, if anyone can

All the sudden the other day the screen went black with cpu still running. Then everytime I restarted it, it would either freeze after login (restart required as a a result) or screen would go black again after a little while. Now, its just worse and after login screen goes black after desktop appears. I tried under a different account and it just keeps freezing every time and I have to keep restarting it.

It works fine in safe mode, but thats its. I recently installed Norton, but cpu was fine for a few days then this happened. Cant do system restore, and I tried Avast boot scan but still no luck.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

In Safe Mode, right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

I tried under a different account and it just keeps freezing every time and I have to keep restarting it.
Thanks

It just freezes on other user accounts? The screen does not turn black?

#4 huskeyfan8

huskeyfan8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

It says "windows was unable to complete disk check" when I hit start.

No, the black screen eventually happened on both accounts.

#5 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

You should run SUPERAntiSpyware in Safe Mode. You may need to boot into Safe Mode with network in order to download. After that reboot into Safe Mode without network. Then update the program a run a full scan. If it wants to reboot - let it. Link: http://www.superantispyware.com/

SUPERAntiSpyware also have repair functions: Click Preferences. Click the Repairs tab. Mark "Enable Start Menu Run". Click Perform Repair.

Then mark "Reset Winlogon Shell". Click Perform Repair.

An other just as fine program is Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. An additional scanning would not be a bad thing: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

PS: what Norton did you install? Norton Internet Securty 2009 or Norton 360 or something else from Symantec?

Edited by ePost, 10 January 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#6 huskeyfan8

huskeyfan8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

Norton AntiVirus, I'll try the superantispyware. Thanks.

#7 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

Is it a Dell laptop? There are issues with the combination Dell ~ Norton. Also: did you just buy this Norton or is it not brand new? Is it something that you have had for some time? In Norton's Community Forums they write about some BSOD problems from late November caused by Norton. Should be fixed by now, however. Norton finally got themselves a user forum after all these years. Can't believe it took them this long.

Edited by ePost, 10 January 2009 - 07:11 PM.

#8 huskeyfan8

huskeyfan8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

Now I cant even install this, it says "administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

Not a Dell, I just bought the Norton download online last week. It seems weird how I have this trouble now. Though it did clean my cpu for about a day. The all this stuff happened.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

Are you the administrator? Is it your PC?

#11 huskeyfan8

huskeyfan8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

yes, i tried right click "run as", it wont let me run it.

#12 Over50

Over50

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

Have you tried uninstalling Norton in Safe Mode then see if the system will boot ok?
CM Cosmos S case, EVGA 750i SLI FTW, 860W PCPC PS,
E8400 w/Zalman 9700 cooler, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 216 Core SC, X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
CH 568 USB Joystick, Pro Pedals and Yoke, Windows XP Home

#13 huskeyfan8

huskeyfan8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

yeah, it just froze on desktop screen

#14 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

yes, i tried right click "run as", it wont let me run it.

Not even in Safe Mode?

#15 huskeyfan8

huskeyfan8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

yeah, it says cant run in safe mode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users