Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd behavior after running Malware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmachlin

cmachlin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Basics: Home Dell desktop, 3 yrs old, Windows XP SP2, IE7, FF 3.05, Safari 3.2.1, McAfee (up-to-date)

This PC is my home PC which I typically use for basics such as browsing, paying bills, etc. Several weeks ago my teenage kids started playing games on it. And then came the dreaded Spore game. From that point wierd things started happening. I ran McAfee full scan several times. Everything cleared up except two very annoying problems:

1) Regardless of how many time I tried to set browser (all browsers) to block popups the option would get unset. Thus going to ESPN, CNN, etc. was a PIA but not horrible.
2) Trying to click on any link returned from a Google search resulted in being redirected to some other web site.

In doing research on this topic I was introduced to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware through pcsafety.us web site. I downloaded it, let it update, ran the full scan (it found 98 issues) and then let it delete/quarantine them.

The new situation is this:
1) Firefox works fine with one exception (see below)
2) I can not run IE. I tried clicking on the desk icon and going directly to the Program Files/.../exe. When I select it Windows tells me that it can not find the application even though I'm looking at it and selecting it to run specifically.
3) So I figured I would re-download IE. Going to the MS web site and trying to download IE resulted in a "Filed to Connect ... Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at download.microsoft.com." message. The full url that was being attempted was (http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/8/8/38889dc1-848c-4bf2-8335-86c573ad86d9/IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe).

So I figured I would try and download Safari. That worked fine. So then I tried to go from Safari to download IE. Same error.

In order to try and isolate the issue I tried to download an IE repair tool but got the same result (failed to connect).
To further isolate I tried various browsing, watch some YouTube, updated my Quicken data, etc. All of that was fine. So I believe that my connections, etc. are all working fine.

Any thoughts on why I can't download certain files and why the OS can't see IE?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

Try this scan:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cmachlin

cmachlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the attempted help.

Over the next few days access to certain web sites deteriorated. The behavior also appeared on all home PCs. The net result was a failing router. I don't know if something on the PC attacked the router or not. But replacing it fixed all access problems.

I still can not re-install IE even though I download the .exe, run it, etc. But I still can't execute it. I wish I could find a way to safely remove the current IE and start over but I can't find an uninstall.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users