Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performance issues with new memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike T

Mike T

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

I just installed 4 x 1GB Mushkin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) in my Intel DP35DP mobo. Purchased 2 packages from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146599

Timing of 5-5-5-18 / 1.8V meets the mobo specs, and it was also selected via Newegg's configurator. This replaced 2 x 1GB of generic that came with the machine.

Since installation, startup has been MUCH slower, and my AV software (Trendmicro) takes 5-10 minutes to initialize. Once everything initializes, the startup of various applications is also greatly delayed (IE7, Excel, Word, etc.).

In Windows System Information, it recognizes the following memory parameters:

Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.40 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 5.83 GB

I have reviewed my mobo manual, and there are no jumpers or other settings I need to tweak. I also dl'd and ran Memtest86, and no errors were found on the new memory (it recognized 4027MB - close enough).

Any thoughts on diagnostics or other tweaks I should investigate/employ?

FYI - System specs below:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz (Core 2 Duo)
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. DPP3510J.86A.0326.2007.1206.2256, 12/6/2007

Thanks!

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

Well...I have 4GB installed and my numbers (accessing System info via msinfo32) are similar to yours., but I don't have the problems you seem to have. I'm running dual-channel. I have .5GB more available physical, but that may be onboard video allocation.

FWIW: I think that pagefile space number is wrong. I just changed my pagefile from a static 2GB min, 4GB max to letting XP manage it and it's 3.5 or so when I review the pagefile settings and when I look at the pagefile size on C:. Yet, msinfo32 continues to report it at 6.5 or so.

I think that a better indicator of memory is obtained by right-clicking on My Computer and select Properties.

I think I'd look for file corruption or something in O/S for an explanation of your situation.

Louis

#3 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

I did manage my swap file to be 2x my ram PRIOR to the upgrade, but reset it to allow Windows to manage it after I installed the new RAM. FYI: I don't have integrated video.

Yeah, I am also thinking something else is corrupted. I am almost ready to do a complete reinstall of XP...

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users