Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista boots to black screen instead of login screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NiJor

NiJor

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

Hello I hope someone can help me out with my problem.

About the problem.
Yesterday I did a shutdown from the start menu and turned off my monitors, however the computer did not shutdown and was still on after 10 minutes so I just turned it off with the power button.
Today I started my computer it boots I get the usual loading bar and then a black screen and not my welcome screen.

So I have tried the following to fix it:
I tried booting with last known configurations, and got the same problem.
I tried booting in safe mode, it loads for about 5 minutes and then just stops loading.
I tested the memory with a memory test from Acer, no problems found.
I tried booting with a lower resolution, get the same problem.
Just to see if its not a hardware problem, I have booted a linux live cd and that worked.
I have an acer recovery menu but it wont let me recover to a previous point.
And I don't have a vista CD or recovery disk.
I think it was updating when I shut it down..

So i hope anyone has a solution for my problem, if you need more information please ask and I'll answer.

Many thanks for reading and maby even replying to my problem.

Greets,

NiJor

EDIT:
Somehow after waiting an hour doing nothing then rebooting into safemode worked!
There i could do a system restore and problem is solved!

Edited by NiJor, 10 January 2009 - 01:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

See if there is information on that PC on making recovery disks. I just used 2 dual layer DVD's to make recovery disks for a Compaq laptop.

Also, next time your machine boots to a completely black screen....let it stay there while it re-configures it's self. Don't be so impatient :huh:

Edited by Jacee, 11 January 2009 - 12:32 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users